• Rotators / Rotations

    Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center has procedures in place to accept visiting residents and fellows and to allow our residents and fellows to work at other institutions as part of their training.

  • We receive many requests for visiting resident and fellow rotations.  To ensure that such rotations do not conflict with the training of our own residents and fellows, the appropriate program director must determine whether the department can accommodate your request. Upon approval of the program director at Cincinnati Children's and at your sponsoring institution, an affiliation agreement must be completed. Contact the Cincinnati Children's Office of Graduate Medical Education or the program director's assistant to begin this process. Processing of the request may take at least three months.

    Ohio License / Training Certificate

    Every rotator must have an Ohio training certificate by his or her start date. Incoming rotators should apply as early as possible. It takes the board at least eight weeks to process applications. The State Medical Board of Ohio will send an application acknowledgement letter to each resident or fellow. You may not start a rotation without that letter. Resident or fellow rotators must complete the entire application process even if the rotation is over before the process is complete.

    Authorized Resident Rotation

    Every rotator must complete and submit a Visiting Rotator Application form to the GME office at least 90 days before your rotation. 

    Email: gmeoffice@cchmc.org

    Mailing address:
    Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
    Graduate Medical Education Office
    MLC 5012
    3333 Burnet Ave.
    Cincinnati OH 45229

    A copy of the resident’s or fellow’s CV and ECFMG certificate (for international graduates) must accompany the form.

    Visiting rotators who are residents or fellows in a program outside the United States must have a valid ECFMG certificate.  International trainees must also obtain a J-1 clinical visa to participate in a US graduate medical education program − even for rotations. 

    Physicians on observerships are not permitted to participate in hands-on patient care; therefore, they do not need an Ohio training certificate or a J-1 clinical visa.