Football coverage in the fall consists of attending Thomas More College’s football practices 1 time per week, home and away games as required, as well as attending some Thomas More College soccer and volleyball games. In the winter, the resident will have an opportunity to observe and assist athletic training coverage at men’s and women’s basketball, wrestling and ice hockey. In the spring, the resident will have an opportunity to observe and assist with coverage at baseball and softball games, as well as plan and participate in the medical coverage for the Cincinnati “Flying Pig” Marathon. There will be a certified athletic trainer and / or a sports medicine physician overseeing each of these experiences.
In the winter quarter, the resident will spend time with Dr. Nick Edwards, MD, Dr. Kelsey Logan, MD and/or Dr. Kate Berz, DO, who are primary care Sports Medicine physicians at the Sports Medicine Biodynamics Center. In the spring quarter, the resident will spend time with Dr. Eric Wall MD, and/or Dr. Shital Parikh, MD, who are pediatric orthopaedic surgeons who specialize in the management of sports related injuries in children. The resident may have opportunities to observe with other physicians during their residency year.
Experiences through the year include:
- Attendance at the APTA Combined Sections Meeting
- Participation at our annual Management of the Female Athlete Symposium and our annual Management of the High School and Collegiate Athlete Symposium in November and June, respectively.
- Participation in medical coverage at the Cincinnati “Flying Pig” Marathon in May
- Completion in Cincinnati Children’s Hospital’s on line Clinical Research Design Educational Series
- Participation in Pre-Participation Physicals at Thomas More College and area high schools