(All fields required)
Please enter a valid email.
Please enter your name.
What is : (So we know you are human.)
Please supply the correct answer.
The Summer for Sickle Cell Science Program is an outstanding science training opportunity for high school students designed to involve young people in cutting-edge scientific research conducted in an academic medical center and to cultivate a continued interest in research related to sickle cell disease.
The program is sponsored by the Cincinnati Children's Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center Program with support from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH),
This eight-week program offers a chance to learn, explore, and gain hands-on experience in a medical center research laboratory environment for up to three students each summer. Each student will be assigned to a faculty mentor and work in his or her laboratory. Students will be assigned mini-research projects or work with laboratory staff on ongoing research. Those students who complete sufficient research in one or more summers will be encouraged to present at local or national scientific meetings and may contribute to papers published in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Participants may earn a stipend of up to $3,000 based on the number of hours they spend in the laboratory.
Fellowships begin with an orientation on May 26th or June 1st and last for eight weeks.
Current high school juniors and seniors may apply. While students from outside the greater Cincinnati area may apply, we are unable to provide or assist with housing, meals, or transportation for the program. Applicants should have a record of strong academic achievement and demonstrated interest in the sciences. This program is highly competitive: we typically receive more than 100 applications each year for three positions.
Selection of students will be based on the following criteria:
Approximately 10 finalists will be invited for 30-minute interviews with program faculty in April.
APPLICATION NOW CLOSED
1. Complete the application and essay and return by mail, fax, or e-mail attachment by the March 20, 2015 deadline. For mailed applications, this is a postmark deadline. E-mailed or faxed applications must be received by March 20, 2015. We are unable to accept hand-delivered applications.
Download the Application and Essay.
2. Request two confidential recommendations from teachers and/or a counselor, including at least one from a science teacher. Recommendations must be submitted directly by the recommender or your high school office by the March 20th postmark deadline in a sealed envelope signed across the flap by the recommender. We prefer that transcripts and recommendations be mailed together if possible. Please complete the first part of each recommendation form for your recommenders. They may complete the form or attach a separate letter. Be sure to let them know if they should return the recommendation to the school office or mail it themselves. Please provide them with an envelope (stamped and addressed if they will mail directly; otherwise, please label with your name and the program name).
Download the recommendation documents.
3. Arrange for an official transcript to be mailed by the March 20, 2015 postmark deadline. We prefer that the recommendations and transcript be mailed together if possible.
4. Approximately 10 applicants will be invited for 30-minute personal interviews in April.
5. Successful applicants will be notified by May 1, 2015.
Send all completed application materials to:
Summer for Sickle Cell Science ProgramCincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical CenterAttn: Kristie Gilb3333 Burnet Avenue, MLC 7013Cincinnati, OH 45229Kristie.firstname.lastname@example.orgPhone: 513-636-9445Fax: 513-636-3768
Sickle cells on the blood smear of a patient with Sickle Cell Disease
The application process has closed for 2015. Please check back next year for information on the 2016 Summer for Sickle Cell Science Program.
3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229-3026 | 1-513-636-4200 | 1-800-344-2462 | TTY:1-513-636-4900
New to Cincinnati Children’s or live outside of the Tristate area? 1-877-881-8479
© 1999-2015 Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center