Amoxicillin

(a-mox-i-SILL-in)

Amoxicillin (Amoxil, Trimox) is an antibiotic medication used to treat infections.

It is available as a capsule, tablet, chewable tablet, or liquid.

  • Amoxicillin may be given with food or on an empty stomach.
  • It is best to take amoxicillin at the same time each day.
  • Chewable tablets should be crushed or chewed before swallowing.
  • Capsules should be swallowed whole and taken with a glass of water.
  • The liquid should be shaken well, before measuring the dose. Use a medication spoon or oral syringe to measure the dose.
  • The liquid may be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Do not freeze this medication.
  • Do not use the medication after the expiration date on the bottle.
  • Throw away any unused medication after 14 days.
  • Call your child's doctor if your child is allergic to penicillin and do not give your child any of this medication.
  • Do not stop giving the medication until the full dose is completed, even if your child feels better. Stopping the medication early may let the bacteria grow and the infection return.
  • If you have given all of the medication and your child still has symptoms, call your child's doctor.
  • Keep this medication out of the reach of children
  • If too much medication is taken by accident, call the Drug and Poison Information Center (DPIC), 513-636-5111 or 1-800-222-1222 or call your child's doctor right away.

For any medication information related to your child's dosing schedule and/or missed doses, contact the healthcare provider who prescribed the medication.

  • Rash
  • Breathing problems
  • Wheezing
  • Itching

Last Updated 11/2013