Bee Stings

If your child is stung by a bee:

  • Remove stinger as soon as possible with the side of a credit card. Do not use tweezers or pinch the stinger. This will release more toxin from the stinger in the skin.
  • Apply cold compresses to the stung area to help reduce the swelling.
  • Keep the area clean and try to prevent your child from scratching the area. 
  • Over-the-counter antihistamine medications such as Benadryl are available to help relieve the discomfort and itching at the site.
  • A paste of baking soda and water can be put on the area of the sting. The paste will harden. This helps draw out the poison from the site.
  • The area stung can continue to swell, itch and become red for 24 to 48 hours (one to two days) after the bee sting.
  • Continue using over-the-counter antihistamines as directed on the package or by your doctor as long as swelling or itching continues.
  • Keep drinks and foods covered while outside.
  • If you see a bee, stay calm and slowly back away.
  • Your child begins to have trouble breathing after the bee sting, or his/her tongue begins to swell
  • Your child becomes hoarse or begins to wheeze
  • Your child becomes dizzy, light-headed or faints
  • Hives (red blotches) appear around the sting
  • Your child develops severe headaches, nausea, stomach cramps or diarrhea within a few hours after the sting
  • Your child begins to run a fever
  • The sting area becomes extremely tender to touch

Last Updated 11/2013