If your child is stung by a bee:
- Remove stinger as soon as possible with the side of a credit card. Do not use tweezers or pinch the stinger. This will release more toxin from the stinger in the skin.
- Apply cold compresses to the stung area to help reduce the swelling.
- Keep the area clean and try to prevent your child from scratching the area.
- Over-the-counter antihistamine medications such as Benadryl are available to help relieve the discomfort and itching at the site.
- A paste of baking soda and water can be put on the area of the sting. The paste will harden. This helps draw out the poison from the site.