Dactinomycin or Actinomycin-D

(dak-ti-noe-MYE-sin) (ak-ti-noe-MYE-sin-dee) 

Dactinomycin (actinomycin-D) is a drug used to treat certain types of cancer. It is available as an injectable medication.

  • Dactinomycin (actinomycin-D) is usually given in the hospital or clinic.
  • Dactinomycin (actinomycin-D) may cause pain and swelling around the site where it is being given to your child. Inform a nurse or physician immediately if this occurs.
  • This drug may increase your child's sensitivity to the sun. Be careful to limit your child's sun exposure and to have him / her use sunscreen (SPF 15) and wear protective clothing (long sleeves and hats) when going outside.
  • If too much medicine is taken by accident, call the Drug and Poison Information Center (DPIC) at 513-636-5111 or 1-800-222-1222, or call your child's doctor immediately.
  • Keep this medication out of the reach of children.

For any medication information related to your child's dosing schedule and / or missed doses, contact the healthcare provider who prescribed the medication.

  • Hair loss
  • Tiredness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Sore throat / mouth or difficulty swallowing
  • Severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
  • Sever throat or mouth pain, or difficulty swallowing
  • Yellowing of the skin and / or eyes
  • Rash
  • Fever
  • Pain or swelling at the IV site
  • Bleeding or easy bruising

Last Updated 12/2013