(All fields required)
Please enter a valid email.
Please enter your name.
When medicine cannot be given by mouth, it may need to be given to the child by an injection or shot. A child of any age should be allowed to say he doesn't like the shot, and may be told it is OK to cry or say "ouch".
Have everything in one place.
1. Roll the bottle back and forth gently between your hands.
2. Clean off the top of the bottle with alcohol.
3. Take off the needle cover.
4. Pull back the plunger to put air into syringe. Put in the same amount of air as the amount of medicine you need.
5. Put the needle into the bottle and push all the air in.
6. Leave the needle in the bottle. Turn the syringe and bottle so the bottle is on top. Make sure the tip of the needle is in the medicine. Pull back slowly on the plunger a little past the line that marks the dose amount.
7. Check syringe for air bubbles. If there are air bubbles, tap at them with your finger until they go to the top.
8. Push the plunger so the air goes out of the needle and the top of the black rubber plunger is right at the line that marks the dose amount.
9. Take the needle out of the bottle and replace needle cover.
The shaded-in areas show the proper places to give the shot.
1. Wipe the skin with alcohol where you are going to give the shot.
2. Remove the needle cover. Hold the syringe like a dart. Quickly push the needle straight in all the way.
3. Hold the syringe firmly with your hand. With your free hand, pull back on the plunger a little. If you see blood, take the needle out, throw syringe away, and draw up a new dose.
4. If you do not see blood, slowly push the plunger all the way down. Put cotton on the skin next to the needle and quickly pull out the needle. Apply gentle pressure to the site; be careful not to stick yourself.
5. Throw the syringe away in a puncture proof container.
Caution: Be sure to keep syringes and supplies out of the reach of children.
3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229-3026 | 1-513-636-4200 | 1-800-344-2462 | TTY:1-513-636-4900
New to Cincinnati Children’s or live outside of the tri-state area? 1-877-881-8479
© 1999-2013 Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center