Second-Hand Smoke Dangers
Second-hand smoke is a mixture of the smoke given off by the burning end of a cigarette, pipe or cigar, and the smoke exhaled from the lungs of smokers.
Second-hand smoke is harmful to your children.
- Adults breathe in and out 14 to 18 times per minute.
- A newborn breathes up to 60 times per minute
- When there is cigarette smoke in the air, children get more toxins in their lungs than adults.
- Young children depend on adults to keep their surroundings safe. They need you to keep their air smoke-free.
- Children who spend one hour in a very smoky room breathe in the toxic chemicals equal to smoking 10 cigarettes.
- Infants in smoking households have more middle ear infections because the smoke irritates the tube leading to the ear.