Some of this equipment may be sent home from the hospital with you. The rest is ordered by the hospital from a medical supply store. Here is a checklist of what you will need:
- Hospital bed
- Two elastic bandages (ace wraps) or 2 pieces of vent foam
- Overhead traction frame (optional)
- Traction ropes and pulleys
- Weight bags with sand or water
- Thigh slings
**Special boots may be used instead of elastic bandages.
You may also need:
- A bed pan
- A urinal
- A bath basin
The supply company will set up the bed and traction frame. You will need to check the traction every day. It is not necessary to awake at night to check the traction.
- Every four hours, make sure that the weights are hanging freely. The weights must not rest on the floor or the bed.
- If the ropes become frayed, call the supply store to replace them.
- All the attachments must be secure.
- The ropes must be in the pulley tracks.