A concussion is a brain injury and should be taken seriously. Your child may have a concussion if he or she shows some of these signs and symptoms:
- Is confused
- Acts different than usual
- Has a headache
- Repeated vomiting
- Moves clumsily
- Can’t recall events just before or just after a hit or fall
- Shows behavior or personality changes
- Is dazed
- Loss of consciousness (even briefly)
If you suspect your child has a concussion:
- Pull him or her out of the game.
- Get medical attention right away.
- Keep your child out of the game until medically cleared by your provider.
Concussions take weeks to heal − don’t rush the recovery process!
If your child is suspected to have a concussion, call the Cincinnati Children’s Head Injury Clinic at 513-803-HEAD (4323).