- Before going to bed, have your child urinate. Do not save this urine.
- You have now started your child's overnight urine collection. This is the start time. Write your child's name, the date and this start time on the card attached to the urine container.
- From this time on collect all your child's urine in the urine container. Save all urine throughout the night.
- If your child is a female, place the urine "hat" inside the toilet under the lid and then have your child urinate into this hat. Using the funnel, pour the urine into the urine container. Keep the urine container in the refrigerator.
- If your child is a male, have him urinate directly into the urine container. Keep the urine container in the refrigerator.
- When your child wakes up in the morning, have him or her urinate and add this urine to the container. This is the stop time. Write the date and this stop time on the card attached to the urine container. No more urine is needed.
- Keep the specimen refrigerated until taking the container to the hospital as directed by your child's doctor.
Note for females: Blood in the urine can affect the results of some laboratory tests. If your adolescent child is menstruating, ask the doctor whether she needs to postpone the urine collection.