Valproic acid (Depakene, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle Depacon, Depakote ER) is used alone, or with other drugs, to treat certain types of seizures in the treatment of epilepsy.
It also is used to prevent migraine headaches, and to treat mood disorders.
It is available in a number of different dosage forms, including:
- Delayed release tablets: 125 mg, 250 mg, 500 mg
- Divalproex sodium, sprinkle capsules: 125 mg
- Extended release tablets: 250 mg, 500 mg
- Valproic acid capsules: 250 mg
- Sodium valproate, syrup: 250 mg/ 5 mL
- Sodium valproate, injection: 100 mg/mL (5 mL)