Newsroom

Holiday Safety Tips from the Drug and Posion Information Center


Monday, December 01, 2008

The holiday season is usually a time of joy but it also brings the potential for poisonings, according to the Drug and Poison Information Center (DPIC), a service of Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. The following information includes safety hazards and precautionary ways to ensure that families have a safe holiday season.  (DPIC is open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. The center can be reached by calling 513-636-5111 or toll free at 1-800-222-1222.)

Alcohol
Ethyl alcohol is a common and potentially toxic ingredient in holiday beverages. It, or denatured alcohol, is also found in gifts such as perfumes and colognes. During the holidays, DPIC receives an increased number of calls stemming from alcohol poisoning, and Cincinnati Children’s emergency department sees more children due to alcohol poisoning during the holiday season. This is often due to adults leaving unfinished drinks lying around after holiday parties where children might find them. Because of their small weight, children are more likely to get alcohol poisoning than are adults. Adults are advised to make sure all alcohol is put away before going to bed at night.
Poinsettia
The DPIC team offers the following information:
    • Children who play with the leaves of this plant and then rub their eyes may experience redness and irritation.
    • Serious incidents regarding poinsettias probably do not occur due to ingestion of parts of the domestic varieties of this plant (gastrointestinal and local irritation are occasionally reported), however if pieces of these plant are swallowed, parents are advised to call DPIC.
Mistletoe
Certain varieties of mistletoe contain substances that, in large quantities, can affect the nervous system, blood pressure and the heart. Berries have the greatest potential for causing symptoms of poisoning, although other parts of the plant also contain toxins. DPIC reports that small children usually only ingest the berries in small amounts (i.e., one or two berries), so there is no documented cause for alarm or necessity for treatment. However, if ingestion does occur, parents are should contact DPIC.
Holly
There are a least 400 different varieties of holly. The berries of a few varieties of holly plants are reported to be poisonous. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and a slowing down of breathing and heart rate can occur after eating holly berries. Children might also eat the leaves of holly plants. These could also contain potentially toxic chemicals. Parents should call DPIC if ingestion occurs.
Jerusalem Cherry
Although this plant allegedly contains solanine, a substance found in several plants with known toxic potential, reports of toxicity are sparse. Reported signs and symptoms of solanine toxicity include dilated pupils, salivation, nausea, vomiting, headache, bloating, diarrhea, respiratory depression, central nervous system depression, confusion, irregular heartbeat, coma and death. It is unclear how many Jerusalem cherries would have to be ingested to produce any of these symptoms so parents are advised to call DPIC if their child eats any part of a Jerusalem cherry.
Cyclamen
Very little is known about how poisonous this plant is to humans. The safest thing to do is call DPIC if ingestion occurs.
Essential Oils and Flavors
Some ingredients, such as salicylates in oil of wintergreen, menthol, camphor, eucalyptol, and other oils and flavorings, can be extremely toxic if ingested. Other products may have a high alcohol content or the potential to cause severe problems if ingested. Call DPIC is ingestion occurs.
Dry Ice
Dry ice is used in many ways throughout the holiday season. Care must be taken to avoid skin contact with solid pieces of dry ice or with pieces that might be ingested. Dry ice is composed of carbon dioxide. Skin contact can cause tissue damage, and burns to the mouth can occur from ingestion. Flush the skin with lukewarm water if direct exposure occurs, and give lukewarm water to drink if a solid piece is swallowed.

As a reminder: if anyone has inquiries about other products in their home that may be hazardous, they are they are welcome to call DPIC at 513-636-5111 or toll free at 1-800-222-1222 any time of night or day.

Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center is one of America’s top three children’s hospitals for general pediatrics and is highly ranked for its expertise in digestive diseases, respiratory diseases, cancer, neonatal care, heart care and neurosurgery, according to the annual ranking of best children's hospitals by U.S. News & World Report. One of the three largest children’s hospitals in the U.S., Cincinnati Children’s is affiliated with the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and is one of the top two recipients of pediatric research grants from the National Institutes of Health.

For its achievements in transforming healthcare, Cincinnati Children's is one of six U.S. hospitals since 2002 to be awarded the American Hospital Association-McKesson Quest for Quality Prize ® for leadership and innovation in quality, safety and commitment to patient care. The hospital is a national and international referral center for complex cases, so that children with the most difficult-to-treat diseases and conditions receive the most advanced care leading to better outcomes.

Contact Information

Danielle Lewis, 513-636-9473, danielle.lewis1@cchmc.org