Doctors at Cincinnati Children’s Offer Toy Safety Advice for Children During the HolidaysFriday, November 16, 2012
CINCINNATI – With the excitement of the holidays, parents and relatives eagerly purchase the hottest toys and latest items for their children. But it’s during the hustle and bustle of the season that many fail to buy age appropriate gifts for their children, and they tend to disregard warnings on these toys and gifts to ensure they are safe.
Doctors at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and the American Academy of Pediatrics give the following tips on toy safety this holiday season:
- Parents are encouraged to read all warning labels carefully before purchasing any item.
- Consider a child’s age, interests, and skill levels when purchasing toys.
- Look for toys with sturdy construction and avoid items with sharp edges and points.
- Choking is one of the leading causes of toy-related death. Most of these deaths are attributed to toy balls, latex balloons and small magnets.
- Small items can be risky for young children. For children under age three, choose toys that are at least 1 inch in diameter and 2 inches long, so they will not lodge in a child’s mouth or throat.
- Beware of toy jewelry that may contain lead or cadmium. Both substances can be harmful to children who put items containing these chemicals into their mouths.
- To prevent both burns and electrical shocks, don’t give young children (under age 10) a toy that must be plugged into an electrical outlet. Instead, buy toys that are battery-operated.
- Watch for pull toys with strings that are more than 12 inches in length. They could be a strangulation hazard for babies.
- Parents should store toys in a designated location, such as on a shelf or in a toy chest, and keep older kids’ toys away from young children.
- Be extra cautious about toys that are handed down from friends and relatives that may not have warning labels. Inspect these toys carefully and use your best judgment.
- Be careful with button batteries found in toys. If ingested they can become lodged in the esophagus causing serious injury and even death.
- High power magnets can be found in some toys and if a child ingests more than one they can attract to one another and result in serious injury or even death. Seek medical attention if your child ingests one or more magnets.
- Once the gifts are opened, it’s important to quickly discard plastic wrapping.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission website, www.cpsc.gov, has information about safety hazards and recall information. It will be useful to check this site before purchasing toys for your children.
About Cincinnati Children’s
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center ranks third in the nation among all Honor Roll hospitals in U.S. News and World Report’s 2012 Best Children’s Hospitals ranking. It is ranked #1 for neonatology and in the top 10 for all pediatric specialties. Cincinnati Children’s is one of the top two recipients of pediatric research grants from the National Institutes of Health, and a research and teaching affiliate of the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. The medical center is internationally recognized for improving child health and transforming delivery of care through fully integrated, globally recognized research, education and innovation. Additional information can be found at www.cincinnatichildrens.org
513-736-0307 (pager) Danielle.Jones@cchmc.org