• Dangers of Button Batteries

    On Emmett Rauch's first birthday, he swallowed something dangerous that's in nearly every home in the country: a button battery from a remote control to his family's DVD player. His parents didn't know what had happened. They grew concerned when he came down with flu-like symptoms that didn't improve. Finally, an X-ray revealed what he had swallowed. It was as poisonous as swallowing drain cleaner. It tore holes in his esophagus and trachea and did severe lung damage. Doctors in Phoenix referred the Arizona family to Cincinnati Children's for advanced care at the Aerodigestive Center and Esophageal Center, which studies and treats critical airway, esophagus and lung issues. His treatment has given his family hope about his recovery.
  • Survival Story Highlights Danger of Toddlers Swallowing Button Batteries

    Emmett Rauch almost died because he swallowed something ordinary: a button battery from a remote control. Surgery at Cincinnati Children's saved him.