• School Special Education

    The education system can be challenging for the parent of a child with special healthcare needs. Negotiating the maze of special education supports and knowing how, why and when to advocate for an IEP, a 504 plan or behavior plan requires that you become familiar with special education laws and your child's rights.

    For school age children, we’ll help you with resources for:

    • Legislation: Find an overview of the major federal legislation that guarantees equal educational opportunity for students with disabilities.
    • IDEA - Individuals with Disabilities Education Act: This landmark legislation guides how states, school districts and public agencies provide special education and related services to more than 6.5 million children with disabilities. Find a sample letter requesting special education supports and special education advocates.
    • IEP - Individualized Education Program: Students who qualify for special education under IDEA must have a written document detailing how they will receive a free appropriate public education designed to meet their unique needs. Find a sample letter requesting special education supports and special education advocates.
    • Due Process: IDEA guarantees that parents have a right to appeal recommendations by school districts. Find special education advocates.
    • Section 504: This civil rights law, part of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, prohibits discrimination on the basis of a disability. Students who may not qualify for special education services under IDEA may be covered under Section 504. Find a sample letter requesting 504 supports and special education advocates.
    • Behavior Plan: If behavior interferes with your child's learning or with the learning of others, a behavior plan should be developed. Find special education advocates.
    • School Health Plan: A plan may be developed by the school nurse as part of your child’s IEP or Section 504 plan to specifically address medical needs in the school setting.
    • Private & Charter Schools, Scholarships: Learn about your rights if you choose to place your child with a disability in a private or charter school. Find out about the Autism Scholarship Program and the Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship Program offered through the Ohio Department of Education.
  • Find school and education resources for your special needs child.

    Contact Us

    We want to hear from you. Email us with your feedback or suggestions for additional resources. Call our Family Resource Center at 513-636-7606 with your questions.