Mayerson Center for Safe and Healthy Children
Division Data Summary
Research and Training Details
|Number of Faculty||4|
|Number of Joint Appointment Faculty||1|
|Number of Research Fellows||1|
|Number of Support Personnel||6|
|Direct Annual Grant Support||$633,003|
|Peer Reviewed Publications||11|
Clinical Activities and Training
|Number of Clinical Staff||6|
|Number of Clinical Fellows||3|
|Number of Clinical Students||17|
|Number of Other Students||6|
Left to Right: M Greiner, K Makoroff, R Shapiro, E Pearl
Awards, Appointments and Publications
This past year the Division published 16 peer reviewed articles and was awarded $516,238 in grants and contracts. Kathi Makoroff, MD, director of our child abuse pediatrics fellowship, was elected vice-president to the Ray Helfer Society and was appointed medical director of the Cincinnati Children’s CME Department. Brooks Keeshin, MD, was awarded a prestigious Doris Duke Fellowship for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect. This fellowship supports the creation of new knowledge on the dynamics of abuse and neglect and effective strategies for the prevention of child maltreatment.
CHECK Foster Care Clinic
Mary Greiner, MD, joined the Mayerson Center faculty this year. Greiner completed her Pediatrics training at Wake Forest University and her Child Abuse training at Cincinnati Children’s. In addition to protecting children from abuse, her interests include improving outcomes for children in foster care. Through a joint appointment with the Division of General and Community Pediatrics, Greiner has opened the CHECK Foster Care Clinic, an evaluation clinic for Hamilton County children who are placed into foster care.
New Clinical Service
The Division began a new clinical service with the Shriners Hospital for Children in Cincinnati, providing consultations to the burn surgeons when child abuse or neglect is suspected.
- Diagnostic accuracy in child sexual abuse medical evaluation: Role of experience, training, and expert case review. Child Abuse Negl. 2012; 36:383-92., , , , , , .
- PTSD in Depressed Mothers in Home Visitation. Psychological Trauma-Theory Research Practice and Policy. 2012; 4:186-195., , , , .
- Pediatric dog bite victims: a need for a continuum of care. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2012; 51:473-7., , , , .
- Childhood Cruelty to Animals: Psychiatric and Demographic Correlates. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma. 2011; 20:812-819., , , , , , .
- Child Sexual Abuse - Discovery, Professionalization and Institutionalization: 40 Years of Struggle and Progress in the USA. Gender studies and policy review. 2011; 4:6-19., .
- Early clinical indicators of developmental outcome in abusive head trauma. Childs Nerv Syst. 2012; 28:889-96., , , , .
- Physiologic changes associated with violence and abuse exposure: an examination of related medical conditions. Trauma Violence Abuse. 2012; 13:41-56., , .
- Effectiveness of community dissemination of parent–child interaction therapy. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy. 2012; 4:204-213., , , , , , .
- Safe at home?. J Pediatr. 2011; 159:710-1..
- Experiential avoidance and the relationship between child maltreatment and PTSD symptoms: preliminary evidence. Child Abuse Negl. 2012; 36:118-26., , .
- Successful treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder with prazosin in a young child. Ann Pharmacother. 2011; 45:1590-1., .
Faculty, Staff, and Trainees
- Robert Shapiro, MD, Professor
- Leadership Director - Child Abuse Team; Program Director, Pediatric Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (PSANE)Training
- Research Interests Child abuse diagnosis,Community indicators of maltreatment, medical child abuse
- Mary Greiner, MD, Assistant Professor
- Leadership Director, CHECK Foster Care Clinic
- Research Interests Head trauma, Outcomes of children in foster care
- Kathi Makoroff, MD, Assistant Professor
- Leadership Fellowship Director, Child Abuse Pediatrics; Director, Child Abuse Resident / Medical Student Elective; Medical Director - CME, Chair of CME committee
- Research Interests Head trauma, bruises as indicators of abuse, Education
- Erica Pearl, PsyD, Assistant Professor
- Research Interests PCIT therapy, Trauma in military families
- Frank Putnam, MD, Adjunct
- Leadership Member of the Institute of Medicine Committee on Parental Depression
Joint Appointment Faculty Members
- Elena Duma, MD, Assistant Professor (Emergency Medicine)
Clinical Staff Members
- Mary Pat Burke, BSN
- Sharon Dickman, BSN, MSN, SANE-P, PSANE Coordinator;Educational Specialist
- Cecilia Freihofer, MSW, LISW, HIV follow-up specialist
- Heidi Malott, MSW, LISW-S, Clinical Program Manager;Member of Inter Professional Management Council
- Andrea Powers, MSW, LISW
- Andrea Richey, MSW, LSW, Peer Review Facilitator
- Brooks Keeshin, MD, PGY-7, Utah Primary Children's
- Emergency Medicine » Berkeley Bennett, MD and
- Skeletal survey study looking at utility of head CT in children with single extremity fractures
- Emergency Medicine » Elena Duma, MD
- Revising the CCHMC HIV screening policy and how their grant may affect PSANE cases
- Department of Radiology » Marguerite Care, MD and James Leach, MD
- Benign Enlargement of Subarachnoid Spaces and Abusie Head Trauma
- Neurology » Hans Greiner, MD
- Nonconvulsive Status Epilepticus and Abusive Head Trauma
- Division of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics » Robin Gurwitch, MD
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy and Child Adult Relationship Enhancement for U.S. Marine Corps Families
- Childhood Trust; Emergency Medicine » Barbara Boat, PhD and Cinnamon Dixon, MD
- Children seen in a Pediatric Emergency Room Department for Dog Bites: Caregiver Assessment of the Need for a Continuum of Care
- Emergency Medicine » Berkeley Bennett, MD
- Clinical Decision Rules to Discriminate
- Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation » Shari Wade, PhD
- I-InTERACT RCT Study
- Division of Endocrinology » Susan Rose, MD
- Rose Pilot SVS Study
Grants, Contracts, and Industry Agreements
|Grant and Contract Awards||Annual Direct|
|Neuroendocrine Markers of PTSD Following Recent Childhood Sexual Abuse in Adolescent Girls|
|A Continuum of Trauma Care: Adapting Evidence-Based Practices to Promote Resiliency from Military Families Through Juvenile Justice Systems|
|U79 SM 059286||09/30/09-09/29/12||$472,646|
|Learning Collaborative to Disseminate Trauma and Grief Component Therapy|
|U79 SM 054284||09/30/11-09/29/12||$29,600|
|Ohio Department of Job and Family Services Grant Agreeme|
|Personal Service Contract|
|Victims of Crime Assistance|
|Current Year Direct||$633,003|