Division Data Summary
Research and Training Details
|Number of Faculty||12|
|Number of Joint Appointment Faculty||4|
|Number of Research Fellows||2|
|Number of Support Personnel||55|
|Direct Annual Grant Support||$1,301,905|
|Peer Reviewed Publications||15|
Clinical Activities and Training
|Number of Clinical Staff||1|
|Number of Clinical Fellows||6|
|Number of Other Students||3|
Row 1: S Shott, C Myer III, R Cotton, R Elluru, D Brown, M Rutter
Row 2: E Arjmand, A DeAlarcon, J Willging, J Greinwald, D Choo, K Johnson
Simulation in Otolaryngology
Kaalan Johnson, MD, joined the division this year and began working to establish a simulation and training program, which culminated this May when we held the 1st Annual Midwest Airway Course. The goal of this course was to prepare residents for the challenges inherent to performing rigid endoscopy. The course was well attended and received positive feedback. The department plans to make this course an annual event.
Festschrift for Robin Cotton, MD
In the fall of 2011, a Festschrift honoring the career and accomplishments of Robin Cotton, MD, was held in Boston, Massachusetts. This two-day event brought experts from every field of pediatric otolaryngology together to lecture on current topics. The proceedings will be collected and published in a special fall 2012 supplement in the journal Laryngoscope.
Christian Pueschel Memorial Research Award
The National Down Syndrome Congress awarded Sally Shott, MD, the Christian Pueschel Memorial Research Award. This award is given to an outstanding physician who improves the lives of children with Down syndrome through research and treatment of ear, nose and throat issues.
Dr. Robin Cotton Awarded Daniel Drake Medal
Dr. Cotton received The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine's Daniel Drake Medal for his outstanding contributions to the field of Otolaryngology. The award, considered to be the highest honor bestowed by the College of Medicine, is given annually to honor distinguished living faculty and alumni.
- Prevention of tracheostomy-related pressure ulcers in children. Pediatrics. 2012; 129:e792-7., , , , , , , , , .
- Neonates with tongue-based airway obstruction: a systematic review. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012; 146:8-18., , , , , , , , .
- Antihypertensive drug-induced angioedema causing upper airway obstruction in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012; 76:14-9., , .
- Voice outcomes following adult cricotracheal resection. Laryngoscope. 2011; 121:1910-4., , , , , , .
- Upper airway complications of junctional epidermolysis bullosa. J Pediatr. 2012; 160:657-661 e1., , , , .
- Comparison of the Pediatric Voice Handicap Index with perceptual voice analysis in pediatric patients with vocal fold lesions. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011; 137:1258-62., , , , .
- Update on pediatric voice and airway disorders: assessment and care. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012; 20:160–164., , , .
- Attrition in otolaryngology residency. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011; 145:753-4., , .
- Standardized letter of recommendation for pediatric fellowship selection. Laryngoscope. 2012; 122:415-24., , , , , .
- Evaluation and management of pediatric obstructive sleep apnea beyond tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011; 19:449-54..
- To tube or not to tube: indications for myringotomy with tube placement. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011; 19:363-6., .
- Screening and treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in children undergoing open airway surgery. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012; 138:153-7., , , , , .
- Complications and legal outcomes of tonsillectomy malpractice claims. Laryngoscope. 2012; 122:71-4., , , .
- Use of sentinel node biopsy for staging parameningeal rhabdomyosarcoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011; 57:520-3., , , , , , , , .
- Longitudinal functional performance among children with cochlear implants and disabilities: a prospective study using the Pediatric Evaluation of Disability Inventory. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012; 76:693-7., , , , .
Faculty, Staff, and Trainees
- Robin T. Cotton, MD, Professor
- Leadership Director, Department of Pediatric Otolaryngology; Director, Aerodigestive and Sleep Center
- Ellis M. Arjmand, MD, PhD, Associate Professor
- Leadership Director, Ear and Hearing Center
- David K. Brown, PhD, Assistant Professor
- Leadership Director, Audiological Research Lab
- Daniel I. Choo, MD, Associate Professor
- Alessandro deAlarcon, MD, Assistant Professor
- Leadership Director, Voice Clinic
- Ravindhra G. Elluru, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor
- John. H. Greinwald Jr., MD, Associate Professor
- Charles M. Myer III, MD, Professor
- Leadership Director, Pediatric Otolaryngology Residency Program
- Saima Riazuddin, PhD, Assistant Professor
- Leadership Director, Laboratory of Molecular Genetics
- Michael J. Rutter, MD, Associate Professor
- Sally R. Shott, MD, Professor
- J. Paul Willging, MD, Professor
- Leadership Director, Pediatric Otolaryngology Fellowship Program
Joint Appointment Faculty Members
- Zubair Ahmed, PhD, Assistant Professor (Opthalmology)
- Research Interests Genetics
- Jareen Meinzen-Derr, MPH, PhD, Assistant Professor (Biostatistics & Epidemiology)
- Research Interests Epidemiology
- Scott Holland, PhD, Professor (Neuroimaging Research Consortium)
- Research Interests Neuroimaging
- Dimitar Deliyski, PhD, Associate Professor (Communication Science Research Center)
- Research Interests Communication Disorders
Clinical Staff Members
- Michael Bowen, PA-C, RN, MA, Adult Airway
- Nicholas Smith, MD, PGYVII, University of Alabama-Birmingham
- Derek Lam, MD, MPH, PGYVII, University of Washington
- Catherine Hart, MD, PGYVII, University of Cincinnati
- Angela Black, MD, PGYVI, University of Minnesota
- Charles Myer, IV, MD, PGYVI, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- Matthew Provenzano, MD, PGYVI, University of Iowa
- Genetics; Speech Pathology » Ann Kummer, PhD
- VPI (Velopharyngeal Insufficiency) Clinic-Monitoring associated diagnoses and treatment outcomes
- Speech Pathology »
- FEES (Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing) Clinic-Evaluating swallowing disorders, etiology, treatment strategies and outcomes
- Speech Pathology; Occupational Therapy; Dieticians; Genetics; Gastroenterology; Social Work; Nursing »
- Interdisciplinary Feeding Team – Evaluating safety of swallowing and treatment strategies for children with complex dysphagia problems
- Speech Pathology »
- Pediatric Voice Clinic – Evaluation of quality of life factors associated with voice disorders, determining etiology and treatment strategies for children with voice problems
- Pediatric Surgery; Dermatology; Plastic Surgery; Oncology » Denise Adams and Richard Azizkhan
- Vascular Malformation clinic –Determining treatment outcomes for complex vascular malformations
- Audiology; Speech Pathology; Developmental Pediatrics »
- Cochlear Implant Team – Determine candidacy of patients for implantation, following outcomes of speech and language and hearing abilities
- Gastroenterology; Pulmonary; Occupational Therapy; Feeding Team; Speech Pathology; Voice Team; Pediatric Surgery »
- Coordinated care of patients with complex conditions requiring multiple service involvement.
- Anesthesia; Emergency Department »
- Surgical Simulation-Providing training and simulation/situational awareness using state of the art simulation models.
- Neonatology » Jim Greenberg and Laurel Bookman
- Collaborative quality improvement project to standardize the diagnosis and treatment of neonates with tongue-based airway obstruction.
Grants, Contracts, and Industry Agreements
|Grant and Contract Awards||Annual Direct|
|Functional Analyses of Tricellular Tight Junctions in Hearing and Deafness|
|R01 DC 011748||07/01/11-06/30/16||$250,000|
|Identifying Genes for Non-Syndromic Recessive Deafness - A Collaborative Study|
|R01 DC 011803||04/15/12-03/31/17||$212,500|
|Understanding Suppression of Deafness Due to a Dominant Modifier Gene|
Shott, S / Amin, R / Fleck, R
|Dynamic Computational Modeling of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Down Syndrome|
|R01 HL 105206||09/01/10-08/31/14||$759,075|
|Current Year Direct||$1,301,905|