Division Data Summary
Research and Training Details
|Number of Faculty||9|
|Number of Support Personnel||40|
|Peer Reviewed Publications||5|
Clinical Activities and Training
|Number of Clinical Staff||3|
|Number of Clinical Students||10|
Row 1: A Matusak, R Campbell
Row 2: S Thikkurissy, S Wilson
Wilson Lectures at International Sedation Conference
Stephen Wilson DMD, MA, PhD, director, was an invited guest lecturer for a plenary session at the annual meeting of the International Association of Pediatric Dentistry held in Seoul, Korea, in June 2013. He spoke on oral sedation of children for dental procedures. He also lectured in a separate session and aided in the organization and development of an international sedation interest group which should meet each year at the annual session.
Wilson is internationally known for his contributions to the field of procedural sedation in dentistry and was a principal writer of “Guidelines for Monitoring and Management of Pediatric Patients During and After Sedation for Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures,” sponsored by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. He also is Director of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry sponsored sedation course presented twice a year in the US. A new member of our Division, Sarat “Bobby” Thikkurissy DDS, MS, also is a faculty member in the sedation course.
Advanced Training in Pediatric Dentistry
Our advanced pediatric dentistry training program is recognized among pediatric dentistry training programs in the US as a leader in sedation training. Recently, the program began collaborating with Anesthesiology to provide intravenous sedation of patients to supplement its reputation for performing oral sedations for dental restorative procedures. Our division is one of a handful of advanced pediatric dentistry training programs in the U.S. offering these types of experiences for their residents. Thikkurissy serves as Program Director. He plans several changes affecting clinical care, including a daily “walk-in” clinic. In May 2013, five residents presented posters at the annual session of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry in Orlando.
Pediatric Dentistry Publications
- Local Anesthesia and Oral Surgery in Children. In: PS Casamassimo, HWF Jr., DJ McTigue, A Nowak, eds. Pediatric dentistry: infancy through adolescence. Philadelphia: Elsevier/Saunders; 2013..
- Nonpharmacologic Issues In Pain Perception And Control. In: PS Casamassimo, HWF Jr., DJ McTigue, A Nowak, eds. Pediatric dentistry: infancy through adolescence. Philadelphia: Elsevier/Saunders; 2013..
- Management of child patient behavior: quality of care, fear and anxiety, and the child patient. J Endod. 2013; 39:S73-7..
- Pain Reaction Control: Sedation. In: PS Casamassimo, HWF Jr., DJ McTigue, A Nowak, eds. Pediatric dentistry: infancy through adolescence. Philadelphia: Elsevier/Saunders; 2013., .
- Pain Perception Control. In: PS Casamassimo, HWF Jr., DJ McTigue, A Nowak, eds. Pediatric dentistry: infancy through adolescence. Philadelphia: Elsevier/Saunders; 2013., .
Faculty, Staff, and Trainees
- Stephen Wilson, DMD, MA, PhD, Professor
- Leadership Division Director
- Richard Campbell, DMD, MS, Assistant Professor
- Leadership Director of Orthodontics
- Murray Dock, DDS, MSD, Associate Professor
- William Fye, DDS, Assistant Professor
- Leadership Director Off Campus Offices
- William Greenhill, DMD, Assistant Professor
- Anthony Kamp, DMD, Associate Professor
- AnnMarie Matusak, DDS, MSD, Assistant Professor
- Sarat Thikkurissy, DDS, MS, Professor
- Erwin Turner, DMD, Professor
- Leadership Residency Program Director
Clinical Staff Members
- Katlin Blomer, DMD
- Marie Callen, DMD
- Lisa Rudolph, DMD
- Laura Battaglia, DMD, PL-2, University of Pennsylvania
- Richard Frye, DMD, PL-2, Medical University of South Carolina
- Scott Papineau, DDS, PL-2, Indiana University
- Fatima Pimentel, DMD, PL-2, University of Nevada
- Ellen Travis, DMD, PL-2, University of Kentucky
- Stephanie Atlas, DDS, PL-1, University of Michigan
- Lauren Capozza, DMD, PL-1, University of Florida
- Daniel O'Callaghan, DDS, PL-1, Indiana University
- Sandra Thompson, DMD, PL-1, University of Nevada Las Vegas
- Almut Tropp, DDS, PL-1, University of California San Francisco
- Craniofacial Anomalies Team » Howard Saal, MD
- Dental residents and Faculty participate in this multidisciplinary clinic designed to evaluate patients for treatment.
- Hematology » Ralph Gruppo, MD
- Dental residents perform patient evaluations as part of this Hemophilia clinic.
- Dermatology/EB clinic »
- Dental residents offer dental evaluations and treatment for EB patients as part of this multidisciplinary clinic.
- Oral Surgery » Deepak Krishnan, DDS and Fred Steinbeck, DMD
- Provide in clinic consultation services and coordinated treatment for patients in the OR.
- Anesthesia » Senthilkumar Sadhasivam, MD
- Provide anesthesia services for IV sedation in the dental clinic.
- Emergency Medicine » Joe Luria, MD
- Pediatric dentistry residents provide oral health care consultation and treatment to the Emergency Department 24/7. The majority of consults and treatment are related to oro-facial trauma and significant odontogenic infections.
- Pediatrics »
- Pediatric dentistry residents provide oral health care consultation and associated treatment to the Pediatrics Department 24/7. The consults involve both in-patient and out-patient referrals. Additionally, the Pediatrics Department provides didactic presentations for the pediatric dentistry residents. The majority of consults are related to oro-facial trauma, significant odontogenic infections, and oral health issues accompanying or possibly affecting the general care of children with significant involvement of other systems.