A Study: Diet, Exercise and Heart For Children and Teens
What is the purpose of this study?
Cincinnati Children’s is conducting a research study (sometimes referred to as a “clinical trial”) to better understand the effects of high-fat meals and exercise on the heart.
Who can participate?
Children and teenagers 8 to 19 years old who are either “about the right weight” or overweight without any major medical problems may be eligible to participate.
- Adult Studies
- Healthy Infants, Children and Adolescent Studies
What is involved?
The study includes 4 visits. The following is a list of some of the procedures that will take place during the study:
- Two brief visits to pick up a free low fat dinner for your child to eat the night before their study visit
- Two full-day visits including the following:
- Physical Exam and review of child’s health and family medical history
- Blood draws
- Blood pressure recordings
- DEXA scan (scan of your child’s bone density)
- Echocardiogram (ultrasound of your child’s heart)
- Ultrasound of your child’s carotid arteries (the arteries in the neck)
- Other tests to look at your child’s blood vessel function and arteries
- Your child will be asked to drink high fat milkshakes
- Your child will be asked to run on treadmill while supervised
What are the benefits?
Your child may receive no direct benefit from participating in this study. The greatest benefit is that your child may be contributing to research that helps other children with weight-related problems in the future.
Will I get all the facts about the study?
Parents interested in having their child participate will be given a consent form that thoroughly explains all of the details of the study. The form covers all of the procedures, the risks, the benefits, the pay, who to contact with questions or concerns and more. A member of the study staff will review the consent form with you and will be sure that all of your questions are answered. Study procedures will not begin until a parent or guardian has signed this form and, if of age, the child has given at minimum his/her verbal agreement.
Do participants receive pay, compensation or reimbursement?
Participants will be compensated up to $300. All study-related food and testing will be provided at no charge.
Who should I contact for more information?
Or email: email@example.com
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
3333 Burnet Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45229-3039
Holly Ippisch, MD