Who can participate?
Young adults (18 to 21 years old) and teens (13 to 17 years old) and a parent can participate. If a teen is under the age of 18, they must have parental permission to participate and their parent/legal guardian must participate with them.
What will happen in the study?
If you decide to join this study, the following things will happen either online or in person at a study visit.
You as the participant will:
- Watch videos and make choices about what, if any, genetic information you/your child want to learn. You will talk with a study team member and parent (if applicable) to make final choices about what, if any, information you/your child want to learn.
- Complete surveys about the decisions you make.
- Possibly be invited to an interview with study staff to further discuss the decisions you make.
- Provide a blood or saliva sample if you are a teen or young adult and want to receive genetic testing results.
- Receive genetic test results (if applicable).
- Possibly be invited to complete additional surveys and/or interviews based on the results you/your child receive.
You will be given a consent form that thoroughly explains all of the details of the study. A member of the study staff will review the consent form with you and will be sure that all of your questions are answered.
Will you/your child be paid to be in this research study?
Participants will be paid between $25 to $180 depending on completion of surveys, interviews, and study visits.