Who can participate?
Healthy adults 18 to 49 years old may be eligible to participate.
What will happen in the study?
This study involves receipt of 2 to 3 vaccine doses and 7 clinic visits during a 7 month period. Here are some of the things that will happen in this study:
- Be asked about your health and any medicines you take
- Have a physical exam including temperature, blood pressure, pulse, height and weight measurements
- Have a blood draw at most visits
- If female and able to have children, have pregnancy testing
- Receive the HeV-sG-V study vaccine or placebo vaccine at 2 or 3 visits (decided by chance – like flipping a coin) in your left or right upper arm.
- Be willing to go to Hoxworth to donate plasma for antibody collection
- Complete a memory aid for 7 days after you receive the vaccine to record your temperature and any symptoms
You will be given a consent form and study handout that gives details of the study. A member of the study staff will review the consent form with you and answer your questions.
What are the good things that can happen from this research?
Being in this study may not help you right now. When we finish this study, we hope that we will know if the study vaccine may help provide protection against infection with the Nipah Virus.
Will you/your child be paid to be in this research study?
Participants may receive up to $1000 to $1050 for time and effort.