Who can participate?
Healthy girls 9 t0 13 years old and boys 9 to 14 may be eligible to participate.
What will happen in the study?
This study includes 2 study visits over 1 year. Here is what will happen in this study:
At each visit your child will:
- Have their height and weight obtained
- Have a physical exam to check puberty stage
- Answer questions about their health history, diet, exercise, mood and quality of life
- Have a DXA scan of their whole body, hip and spine in an open machine to measure bone density and body composition
- Have a pQCT scan of their leg in an open machine to measure bone mineral density
- Have an MRI scan of their knee to measure bone marrow composition
Parents interested in having their child participate will be given a consent form that thoroughly explains all of the details of the study. A member of the study staff will review the consent form with you and will be sure that all of your questions are answered.
Will you/your child be paid to be in this research study?
Families will receive up to $300 for two study visits over one year.