Who can participate?
Pregnant women 18 to 45 years old who:
- Are 34 or more weeks pregnant
- Plan to deliver at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center (UCMC) or The Christ Hospital
- Agree for their baby to have study follow up until they are 2 years old
What will happen in the study?
This study includes 1 home visit (when your baby is 2 weeks old) and 5 study visits (when your baby is 6 weeks, 6 months, 12 months, 18 months and 24 months old) to Cincinnati Children’s over 2 years.
Here are some of the things that will happen in this study:
- Prior to giving birth, you will:
- Answer questions about your pregnancy and medical history
- Submit blood, saliva and nose swab samples
- At birth, we will:
- Collect cord blood
- Give you a stool sample collection kit and instructions about how to collect your baby’s first bowel movement (meconium)
- During your home study visit, we will:
- Review what will happen in the study
- Ask questions
- Collect breast milk and your baby’s stool and nasal swab samples
- At your study visits at Cincinnati Children’s, we will:
- Ask you questions
- Collect breast milk, and a small amount of your baby’s blood and a saliva sample
- Weekly, you will be asked to collect and send by courier, your baby’s stool and nasal swab samples.
- Weekly, you will let us know by text message if your baby is having diarrhea, vomiting, cough or fever.
- We will call and text you a few times to ask questions and to see how your baby is doing.
You will be given a consent form that thoroughly explains all of the details of the study. A member of the study staff will review the consent form with you and will be sure that all of your questions are answered.