What will happen in the study?
This study includes one study visit which will last about 3 hours. Here are some of the things that will happen in this study:
You or your child will:
- Have a skin test to see if you or your child is positive for walnut tree nut and walnut syrup
- Complete a food challenge if the skin test is positive for walnut tree nut and negative for walnut syrup (a food challenge involves eating very small amounts of the food in question to observe if there are signs of a reaction and stopped if there is a reaction)
- Be given an antihistamine to relieve any symptoms from the food challenge
- Be asked to stop taking all antihistamines including Allegra, Zyrtec, Xyzal and Claritin six days before having the skin tests and food challenge
- Be asked to stop medication including Benadryl, Atarax, Periactin, Zantac, Pepcid and Tagamet before having the skin tests and food challenge
Adults interested in participating, or parents interested in having their child participate will be given a consent form that thoroughly explains all of the details of the study. A member of the study staff will review the consent form with you and will be sure that all of your questions are answered.
Will you/your child be paid to be in this research study?
Participants who undergo the food challenge will receive $50 and a bottle of locally produced maple syrup for time and effort.