Who can participate?
Healthy young adults 18 to 26 years old may be eligible to participate.
What will happen in the study?
We want you to know that it is safe to come to Cincinnati Children’s during the coronavirus pandemic. We are taking every precaution to protect you while you are at the medical center. These precautions include continuous and thorough cleaning, masks, daily screenings of every person in the medical center for symptoms, social distancing policies and visitor limitations. Please talk to us about any concerns you may have about coming to our hospital during this time of COVID.
The study includes an early morning study visit lasting 4 to 6 hours after fasting overnight. Here are some of the things that will happen in this study.
- Submit baseline blood and urine samples
- Have your oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production measured by breathing naturally using a technique called indirect calorimetry (IC)
- Complete a nutritional status assessment that includes recording of your weight, height, mid upper arm circumference, triceps skin folds, handgrip strength, and body composition
- Complete a handgrip strength assessment using a dynamometer
- Be asked to drink concentrated sugar water
The first few study participants will be asked to provide urine and blood samples hourly, if possible. The remaining study participants will be asked to provide urine and blood samples only at the midpoint and endpoint of the study visit. The IC measurement of your oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production will be performed again as previously described at the mid-point of the visit.
You will be given a consent form that thoroughly explains all of the details of the study. A member of the study staff will review the consent form with you and will be sure that all of your questions are answered.
Will you/your child be paid to be in this research study?
Participants will receive up to $50 for one study visit lasting about 4 to 6 hrs.