The Schubert-Martin Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center at Cincinnati Children's, in collaboration with the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America Southwest Ohio, offers an education day for patients with IBD and their families.
The 11th Annual IBD Family Education Day was held on Sunday, March 13, 2016 at The Manor House in Mason, Ohio from 11 am - 4 pm.
The 12th Annual IBD Family Education Day will be held on Sunday, March 19, 2017.
The Keynote Speaker in 2016 was Jennifer Martin, Psy.D.
Dr. Jennifer Martin is a licensed psychologist in Newport Beach, CA. She received her doctorate degree in Psychology from California Graduate Institute and has been working in the mental health field since 2001.
Dr. Martin specializes in counseling individuals with chronic pain and illness. Her passion for counseling began when she was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at 25 years of age.
Two years later, due to her declining health, she had the first step of the J-pouch surgeries. Since then she has had a total of six surgeries.
Dr. Martin understands first-hand the psychological difficulties associated with having a chronic illness. Her goal is to help others learn how to cope effectively with the difficulties they are experiencing so that they are able to live happier, more successful lives.
Please find the presentations from the 2016 IBD Education Day below:
- Quality Improvement 101: Utilizing Technology to Improve Health -- Shehzad Saeed, MD, Gastroenterologist, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Woman and Teen Health & Nutrition -- Carmen Meier, MD, Gastroenterologist, Tri-Health Digestive Institute
- What’s New, Interesting and Important in IBD & Research -- Michael Kreines, MD, Gastroenterologist, Ohio GI & Liver Institute
- IBD 101: Understanding Your Child’s Diagnosis -- Phillip Minar, MD, Gastroenterologist, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Transition to High School and College -- Erin Holbrook, MSW, LSW. Social Worker, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Managing Intellectual, Social & Emotional Health of the Child with IBD -- Michael Mellon, PhD.,LP., ABPP. Psychologist, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Treatments and Decision Making -- Kevin Cronley, MD, Gastroenterologist, Ohio GI & Liver Institute
- Research Updates 2016: Looking for the Answers -- Lee Denson, MD, Gastroenterologist, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Parent Panel Discussion & Networking (NO Presentation. Discussion only) -- Summi Ahuja - Parent Representative; Chris Jofriet- Parent Representative; Mark Weiss- Parent Representative, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Managing Stress: How to Get Your Life Back to Normal -- Jennifer Martin, Psy.D., Licensed Psychologist
- Health Maintenance for Pediatrics -- Dana Dykes, MD, Gastroenterologist, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Nutrition 101: Facts Only -- Leah Barron, RD, Registered Dietitian, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Fertility and Family Pregnancy -- Rashmi Tadiparthi, MD, Gastroenterologist, Tri-Health Digestive Institute
- When to Call Your IBD Nurse -- Lee Beck, RN & Lois Siegle RN, Registered Nurses, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- When to Call Your Pediatrician -- Parul Bawa, MD, Pediatrician, Springdale-Mason Pediatrics