This type of spacer is for the child who is too young to always be able to breathe in through his / her mouth at the right time. Usually this is someone 5 years of age or under or who is unable to use a mouthpiece for another reason.
1. Check the expiration date on the device before using it. Discard it if it has expired and get a new prescription.
2. Remove the plastic protective cap from the MDI.
3. Shake the canister for 5 seconds.
4. Prime the MDI.
- If MDI not used in two weeks or has been dropped, spray one puff into air.
- If MDI was never used before, spray four puffs into air.
5. Insert the canister into the spacer.
6. Have the child breathe out normally.
7. Place the mask on the face, covering the mouth and nose.
8. Check to make sure there is a good seal around the mouth and nose.
9. Press down the top of the canister to release one puff of the medicine.
10. Have the child take six breaths with the mask in place.
11. Repeat steps 6-10 depending on how many puffs are indicated on the prescription.