Oral Health Checklist, Age 1
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry and the Division of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center offer this advice for the oral health of 1-year-olds.
- Clean your child’s teeth and gums daily. Do not use fluoride toothpaste unless advised by your dentist.
- Stop giving your child a bottle unless medically needed. Use only water at bedtime.
- Offer your child plenty of water to drink.
- Give your child a well-balanced diet. Avoid foods that promote tooth decay.
- Make sure your child is getting the proper amount of fluoride.
- Schedule your child’s first dental exam.