- Have your child sit up straight.
- Tilt your child's chin up slightly – this will help open his / her throat.
- Have your child open his / her mouth.
- Have your child take slightly deeper breaths than normal for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Have your child take in a slow breath.
- Have your child hold his or her breath for three seconds. (This lets air get behind or below the mucus.)
- Have your child blow out evenly. Blow out a little longer than he / she normally would. Blow out until just before he / she feels the need to cough. (Remind your child to try NOT to cough.)
- Repeat this process (steps 1-7) two more times.
- Have your child cough normally to get rid of mucus.
This could be repeated if necessary.
When to do the Huff Cough:
- Any time a cough is needed
- During and after any airway clearance