You can go into genetic counseling with an undergraduate degree in any field. Candidates should have a strong background in biology and genetics, volunteer or advocacy experience in counseling or working with individuals with disabilities, and experience with the genetic counseling field.
Genetic Counseling Admissions Match
The Genetic Counseling Graduate Program participates in the Genetic Counseling Admissions Match system. All applicants must register for the match to be considered for admission. Learn how to participate in the match.
How to Apply
If you are ready to apply, visit the On-Line Graduate School Application page and select “Apply to UC.”
- When browsing for information about the program, you can select either the program name (Genetic Counseling) or the college name (College of Medicine).
To ensure letters of recommendations are received in time for review by the Admissions Committee, it is strongly recommended that you complete the online application several weeks before the deadline for receipt of materials.
The deadline for receipt of applications, transcripts, and recommendations is Jan. 5 of the calendar year in which you wish to be considered for an interview. Your application will not be reviewed until it is complete.
Admission / Application Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent
- GRE scores (GRE Code: Institution 1833)
- Three letters of recommendation submitted through the online system
- For students whose first language is not English: TOEFL scores