Back to Timeline
1887
Early Hospital
John J. Emery and his brother Thomas Emery, husband of Cincinnati Children’s co-founder Mary Emery, gifted the hospital land and a new building in 1887 in part to memorialize Thomas and Mary’s teenage son, who died in an accident. 
Culture Icon-two people shaking hands

1887

Culture

Two Cincinnati real estate developers and industrialists, the brothers John J. and Thomas Emery, donate land and a new, 20-bed building for the hospital’s second home.

Community members give back so kids can go boldly forward.

1883
Early Patients

Cincinnati Children’s began humbly in a residential home and was committed to providing free care to poor children without regard to race, creed or color. Co-founder Mary Emery was a generous philanthropist and benefactor throughout her life, later using her husband’s vast fortune to fund other hospitals, orphanages, schools and colleges.

Culture Icon-two people shaking hands

1883

Culture

Three civic-minded Episcopalian women — Mrs. Robert (Nellie Phillips) Dayton, Isabelle Hopkins and Mary Emery — establish a hospital to care for sick children in the Diocese of Southern Ohio. Cincinnati Children’s begins life as the Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church, a 12-bed facility converted from a three-bedroom house in the Walnut Hills neighborhood of Cincinnati.

Compassion can start movements in which kids can start anew.