Before the Test
- Your child should stop eating eight hours before the test. They should not drink anything, except for water, eight hours before the test.
- You will need to reschedule the test if your child ate within eight hours before the MMTT.
- To reschedule this test, call 513-636-6907.
- Have your child wear comfortable clothes on the day of the test.
- You may bring an item of comfort such as a doll, blanket or stuffed animal with you.
Your doctor may order a similar test called a pancreatic mixed meal tolerance test (PMMTT). In this case, if your child takes pancreatic enzymes with meals, bring the enzymes with you to take before the test. Otherwise, follow all steps as listed here for the mixed meal tolerance test.
During the Test
When you arrive, we check your child’s height and weight and prepare them for the test:
- Your child is placed in a patient room where they will get an intravenous (IV) catheter. The IV is used to draw the blood samples. Having the IV placed may be a little uncomfortable.
- Your child is given a liquid meal beverage, such as Boost, to drink.
- Blood is drawn from the IV every 30 minutes for two hours for this test.
After the Test
The provider will contact you with test results in about two weeks. Your child should not feel any side effects from this test except for mild discomfort at the IV site.