Spiritual Care and Grief Support at a Glance
An illness or hospital stay may be one of the hardest things a person ever goes through. A loved one’s illness affects the whole family. We understand that spiritual life is important to many people in times like this. Some people find comfort in religious practices like prayer. Others gain strength from things like music, art, stories, or nature. Some need a good listener to talk with about their worries, beliefs, or doubts.
Our Spiritual Care Providers (also known as Chaplains) are here to help. We are members of your healthcare team. Our focus is on the wellbeing of your spirit. We work with people of all religions and beliefs. We strive to understand what gives you meaning and purpose. Our goal is to connect you with the things that bring you courage and hope in tough times.
Spiritual Care Providers:
- Comfort and support you on rough days
- Celebrate with you in joyful moments
- Perform religious rituals and offer prayer at your request
- Talk with you about how your beliefs strengthen or challenge you
- Offer ideas and tools to keep you connected to what is most important to you
- Discuss your concerns about medical procedures or diagnoses
- Help your medical team understand how your beliefs affect your healthcare decisions
We know everyone grieves differently. We tailor our care to your unique needs to help you manage your grief and reduce emotional turmoil.
- Individual support calls
- Bereavement support materials
- Help navigating grief as a family
- Guide to local and national support organizations and groups
- Help setting up a time to review your loved one’s medical journey with healthcare team members
- Annual Service of Remembrance
- Navigating Grief Together Annual Workshop
StarShine Hospice Bereavement Care
If your child died while in the care of our StarShine Hospice and Palliative Care team, StarShine Bereavement Services can help. Our StarShine care team has extensive training and expertise providing compassionate support to ease your journey and aid your family’s healing.
Grief Support Resources
There is no one-size-fits-all solution for coping with grief. Our Ongoing Support Resource Directory offers a wide range of resources that may be helpful. There are also a number of Grief Support Groups throughout the region.
We have created interactive, printable workbooks with tips and information for dealing with loss.