Children and young adults with special healthcare needs often require various forms of durable medical equipment (DME) and supplies. This includes items or services that help those with disabilities improve or keep their ability to function in everyday life.

We provide resources that can assist individuals with a broad range of medical products.

  • A New Chance Foundation
  • American Occupational Therapy Association provides suggestions on modifying your home to support independence.
  • The American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the Digital Federal Credit Union (DCU) offer AAPD members a wide range of easily accessible financial loans for products that assist people with disabilities.
  • Assistive Technology Law Center provides information about resources that provide funding assistive technology devices.
  • Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps (BCMH) may provide funding for certain types of assistive technology deemed medically necessary, including braces, hearing aides and medical supplies. For children ages 0-3 years, BCMH may fund augmentative communication devices. Funding is only provided after the other funding sources such as private insurance, Medicaid, special education services and Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (BVR) have been denied. See Financial Assistance for information about eligibility and additional services.
  • Family Support Services Program, sponsored by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities, may fund equipment that promotes self-sufficiency or inclusion, prevents or reduces inappropriate institutional care, or furthers family unity. In order to be eligible an individual must qualify for Developmental Disabilities services. Also, there may be a percentage of cost share depending on taxable income.
  • First Hand Foundation provides grants for eligible children whose clinical, health care needs are not adequately covered by insurance and state aid. They can assist with expenses associated with assistive technology equipment, care devices and hearing aids. The child must be 18 years of age or younger (a child 18 – 21 can be considered if under the care of a pediatrician and in a child-like state) and the family must meet financial guidelines.
  • Medicaid will pay for some assistive technology / durable medical equipment devices that are necessary for daily function. See Financial Assistance for more information about eligibility for Medicaid services.  
  • Ohio County Boards of Developmental Disabilities may fund assistive devices for consumers employed in a workshop setting through one of its adult centers or who are receiving supported employment services. While they focus on communication devices, they will consider funding other types of assistive technology. Referrals must be made through one of their service coordinators. 
  • Special Kids Therapy

DME Companies

Cincinnati Children's Home Health Care