There are national and local resources available to help you, your child, and your family adjust to your child's transgender identity.
Crisis Hotline Information
Standards of Care – Treatment Protocols
Information for Families Caring for Transgender Youth
- GLAAD offers a long list of resources for LGBTQ children, adults and family members related to topics such as legal issues, military, and mental health.
- GLAAD also provides a list of summer camps around the country designed specifically for supporting LGBTQ youth.
- GLSEN is a national organization that works to ensure that every student, in every school, is valued and treated with respect, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. It has local chapters in most states that provide youth support groups and community events for the LGBTQ population.
- The HRC helps LGBTQ people by increasing public understanding and promoting LGBTQ-inclusive policies and practices. It offers information about each state’s LGBTQ-related policies on its website.
- For LGBTQ children and their families, HRC provides local resources such as finding doctors and support groups.
- PFLAG works to serve LGBTQ people and their allies by working with others to educate the public about the unique issues and challenges facing people who are LGBTQ. They promote opportunities for people to take action in support of LGBTQ-friendly policies, laws, and social acceptance. It also offers online education and networking.
- Specifically for family members and friends of transgender people, it published a free online book that addresses many common questions.