1. Wash your hands with soap and water.
2. Check the doctor’s orders for the feeding plan and instructions on how to flush the NJ tube.
3. Gather the supplies and equipment:
- Feeding pump
- Feeding administration set
- IV pole
- Farrell valve system bag (if ordered by your doctor)
- Bottle or container to measure formula
- Small syringe (3 or 5 ml)
4. Open the feeding administration set and the Farrell bag.
- Use a new feeding administration set and Farrell bag every 24 hours.
5. Connect the bags at the “Y” junction on the Farrell bag tubing.
6. Add the formula to the bag.
7. Prime, or fill, the tubing of the feeding administration set with formula.
8. Close the clamp at the end of the Farrell bag tubing.
9. Put the tubing into the feeding pump.
10. Turn the pump on.
11. Refer to feeding pump instructions for pump programming.
- Set the rate – how fast the feedings are to go in.
- Set the dose − how much formula is to be given.
12. Check to make sure the NJ tube is in the correct place.
13. Give a small amount of water to flush the NJ tube to make sure it is open.
- Check doctor’s orders for the amount of water to use.
14. Connect the feeding administration set tubing to the feeding tube.
15. Open the clamp on the tubing.
16. Start the feeding pump.