Oscillating PEP devices are small hand-held devices that helps move mucus out of the lungs. Keeping mucus out of your child's lungs will:
- Improve his or her health
- Keep him or her from getting sick
Using oscillating PEP correctly is very important. It should be used with Huff Coughs during treatment.
How does an Acapella / Aerobika Work?
Vibrations help to loosen and dislodge mucus. Positive expiratory pressure, or PEP, helps air to get around and behind trapped mucus. PEP also helps to “splint” the airways open. This allows the airflow to move the mucus up to the large airways where it can be huffed or coughed out.
Instructions to Use an Oscillating PEP
Have your child:
- Sit up straight in a chair.
- Rest elbows on a table.
- Take slightly deeper breaths than normal for one to two minutes.
- Put the mouthpiece lightly in his or her mouth. Make sure there is a tight seal around the mouthpiece.
- Breathe in slowly, taking a larger than normal breath.
- Hold his or her breath for two to three seconds.
- Breathe out through the device longer and a little faster than normal.
- Repeat this 15 times. Keep the mouthpiece in for all 15 breaths.
- Do two to three Huff Coughs.
- Cough to get rid of mucus.
Repeat the entire process for six cycles or a maximum of 30 minutes.
Cleaning an Oscillating PEP
After each use:
- Open the oscillating PEP device
- Allow the oscillating PEP device to air dry on a clean paper towel
- Disassemble and clean with liquid dish soap, followed with a sterile water rinse
- Follow instructions on cleaning that come with your device.
- Inspect your oscillating PEP to ensure proper function