Healthcare providers, psychologists and families are beginning to recognize the challenges and opportunities presented when siblings have a brother or sister with developmental disabilities, complex medical care, or emotional needs.
Cincinnati Children's provides resources to help families, advocates and the health providers find information that can build and support that special relationship between brother and sister and their sibling with special needs.
- A Kid Again improves the lives of families with children battling life-threatening illnesses. We give the entire family, including siblings, breaks from the illness through group outings.
- Caring for Siblings of Children with Special Needs is an informative article from KidsHealth. It includes helpful suggestions for different age groups.
- Ohio Sibs provides a unified voice and partner for Ohio adult sibling of people with developmental disabilities and their families.
- Sibling Leadership Network (SLN) provides siblings of individuals with disabilities the information, support and tools to advocate with their brothers and sisters and to promote the issues important to them and their families.
- Siblings with a Mission is an international organization dedicated to serve and support siblings of individual with special needs and their families.
- Sibling Support Project is a national program dedicated to the life-long and ever-changing concerns of millions of brothers and sisters of people with special health, developmental, and mental health concerns.
- SibNet has connected tens of thousands of sisters and brother from around the globe with their peers, since 1996.
- SibTeen contains a link to a Facebook group where teenage sibs of people with disabilities can connect.
- Sib20 contains a link to a Facebook group where twenty-something sibs of people with disabilities can connect.