It is important to have a well thought out plan ready for your child with special needs in the event you are faced with a sudden emergency or disaster. An emergency plan should address your child's specific needs, including medication, personal care, adaptive equipment, transportation and communication challenges. Emergency planning includes being prepared for both your child's medical emergencies as well as possible environmental disasters. Everyone in your home should know what to do in an emergency. How would you handle:
- Sudden trips to the emergency room and interactions with healthcare providers who may be unfamiliar with your child and your child's medical history
- Lack of housing, water, electricity, telephone, refrigeration
- No local access to prescription refills or other needed health products
- Confinement to home or evacuation to a shelter
- Limited health care and emergency rescue services
- Lack of transportation
The Complex Care Center at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center provides information and resources to help families and health care professionals prepare for emergencies and disasters.