We believe school is an important part of every child’s day. Participation in educational services helps patients achieve their educational goals while receiving treatments. In addition, school gives a child or young adult hope and expectation of a future high quality of life. Certified teachers collaborate with the patient’s school on standards-based learning goals, create lessons and assignments, and assess student learning. Individualized lessons are taught during the school year and summer.
The Hospital School Program has 3 goals:
- To provide normalization during
- To develop and maintain academic
- To promote a connection with
classroom and peers.
Components of the Program
- Preschool (ages three to five)
- Kindergarten through twelfth grade
- Young adult (GED, advocacy,
- Academic instruction by certified teachers
- Professional volunteer instructors for advanced-placement subjects and post-secondary educational support
- Communication with high schools, colleges, and universities to develop a plan for course work, and to submit completed work
- Advocacy for accommodations and modifications when appropriate
- Extended instructional hours as needed for completion of assignments in multiple subjects
- GED preparation, practice, and test administration
- Face Time and Skype to deliver instructional content
Liberty Location Services
- Virtual lessons through Telemedicine directly to the patient’s room.
- When scheduled, a hospital teacher can travel to the Liberty campus to provide direct instruction and drop off educational materials.
- “We greatly appreciate the
comprehensive approach Cincinnati Children's takes with their patients, addressing not only
their medical needs but also their educational needs.”
- “This is one hour a day when my son
can feel like a ‘normal’ kid, and with everything else going on it is a welcome
time. I cannot imagine what it would be like not having school each day and how
far behind he would be without this terrific program and these wonderful
- “He tested ‘proficient’ in all four
categories: reading, math, science, and on-demand writing! You played such a
huge role in his success!”
- “The teachers see the child within,
not the outward transformed appearance produced by various medical procedures
and medications. The education program is invaluable to my family
and others dealing with very sick children who are fighting for a future of
health and well-being.”
For more information on available services, questions or comments, please call 513-803-1022.