Therapy and Treatment Options
Hand and Upper Extremity therapy focuses on use of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand (upper extremity). Treatment can be done as part of an outpatient program and / or after surgery.
Goals for this type of physical therapy could include:
- Increased range of motion
- Decreased pain
- Specific skills (e.g. bathing, dressing, eating)
- Leisure skills (sports, music)
Why Choose Us?
At Cincinnati Children's, our therapists:
- Are trained in child development
- Have specialized training in hand therapy
- Deliver care in a child friendly environment
- Work directly with the physicians in our Hand and Upper extremity Center
Who Can Benefit?
Infants, children, and teens who have difficulty with using their arms and / or hands can benefit from this service. This may include children with:
- Birth defects
- Fractures and nerve injuries
- Soft tissue damage including amputation
- Cerebral palsy
- A spinal cord injury
- Chronic pain in the arm/hand
- Loss of range of motion
- Difficulty with skills at home, school, work or play
Locations of Service
Hand and Upper Extremity Therapy services are offered at several locations in the Greater Cincinnati area.