The Heart Institute Patient and Family Advisory Council (HI PFAC) is a diverse group of patients and family members who work with Heart Institute clinicians, staff, and leadership to enhance medical care and quality of life for people living with congenital heart disease. Founded in 2009, the HI PFAC strives to improve patient experience, safety, and health outcomes by connecting the voices of patients, families, and HI staff and fostering improvements in compassionate care.
HI PFAC Members Change the Outcomes By...
- Advocating & Sharing: Members provide feedback and insights at PFAC Experience Meetings
- Driving & Leading: Members help identify opportunities and drive new initiatives that impact the care experience of HI patients and families
- Partnering to Improve: Members work with other HI patients, families, and clinicians on improvement projects to directly impact quality of care
The HI PFAC offers different levels of involvement to help foster a dynamic advisory group that offers flexible commitment levels.
- Guest Contributors are invited to attend Experience Meetings that are specifically targeted at sharing feedback to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Advisors make a commitment to participate in a project that arises from feedback shared at Experience Meetings. This commitment involves attending Working Meetings and may include collaboration opportunities outside of our regularly scheduled meeting times, depending on the needs of the project.
The HI PFAC welcomes parents or caregivers of children and adolescents with congenital heart disease who have been treated at the Heart Institute at Cincinnati Children's. Additionally, adults who are current or former patients are encouraged to participate.
The HI PFAC is open to patients, parents, and caregivers who are:
- Passionate about wanting to help improve processes, safety and quality of care in the Heart Institute at Cincinnati Children's
- Eager to offer feedback and input to support the continued growth and evolution of compassionate care in the Heart Institute
- Collaborative on solutions and have a passion for improving the health care experience for all
- Advocates for change, while keeping the diverse needs of our patients and their families in mind
- Respectful of differing opinions and encourage multiple points of view
- Eager to productively offer feedback and openly share insights and personal experiences in a group setting
Two types of HI PFAC meetings are offered:
Experience Meetings are used to bring awareness to potential opportunities HI patients and families have identified for improvement. These meetings are attended by patients, families, and HI clinicians and share feedback and insights that drive future improvement projects.
Experience Meetings are open for anyone to attend as a Guest Contributor and to provide an introduction to the HI PFAC. Guest Contributors with interest and capacity may decide to continue as full HI PFAC Advisers. To join us at an upcoming Experience Meeting, please contact us at: HI.PFAC@cchmc.org
Working Meetings allow time for small groups to select and complete improvement projects that arise from Experience Meetings. In addition, Working Meetings may be used to introduce projects or improvement work already underway in the Heart Institute so that patients and families may offer feedback and suggestions.