Cincinnati Children’s is Ranked Nationally for Pediatric Cardiology and Heart Surgery, as part of the Joint Heart Program
The human heart pumps thousands of times per day to supply blood to our body. The supply of that blood to our organs and muscles is crucial to keeping us healthy and strong.
Our team at Cincinnati Children’s Heart Institute cares for patients with the most challenging heart conditions, often looking after children too complicated to be looked after in their local hospital. In addition we provide specialized care for adults born with heart defects to care for their hearts’ unique needs. As a result, patients have come to our Heart Institute from 48 states and 22 countries around the world in recent years.
Here, our providers evaluate and treat the most complex and challenging cases. We also provide preventive care, helping children manage obesity and improve their heart health.
We come together from across subspecialties and disciplines – surgery, oncology, radiology, pulmonology, neurodevelopment, endocrinology or any number of our hospital’s top-ranked programs – to provide the comprehensive and integrated treatment needed for the best outcome.
And we come together with UK Healthcare Kentucky Children’s Hospital through our Joint Heart Program. This one program, two-site model ensures families can access the best heart care close to home.
Although we are proud of what we can do today, we are also committed to advancing care in the field for the children and adults of tomorrow. As a leader in the field, our heart team has established national consortiums, shared best practices, led breakthrough research and partnered with heart centers around the world.
Committed to Helping Your Child Feel Better, Be Stronger
At the Heart Institute, we do more than diagnose, treat and manage your child’s heart condition. We offer specialized care, therapy and treatments to address your child’s whole health – allowing your child to be happier, healthier and stronger.
We measure outcomes in more than just success rates and program metrics. For us, the measurement of success includes seeing your child enjoying activities and reaching personal goals.
The experts in each of our specialty programs work closely with families and other experts to make these dreams a reality. Specialty programs for our heart patients at Cincinnati Children’s include:
- Our Cardio-oncology Program helps treat children who have developed heart problems as a result of cancer treatment.
- The Coronary Artery Clinic, one of the few in the nation, continues to deliver the highest standard of care to children with coronary artery diseases, such as Kawasaki disease.
- The Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic is one of eight clinics in the country to earn accreditation from the Pulmonary Hypertension Association.
- Our Fetal Heart Program provides comprehensive evaluation of a baby's heart condition before birth, giving the baby the best chance for long-term success. In select circumstances, a mother can deliver at Cincinnati Children's so her baby can be promptly transferred to our Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and she can remain near her newborn.
- Our Fontan Management Clinic is one of the few programs in the country providing complete care for patients with a Fontan circulation. Our team brings together specialists from a variety of backgrounds to meet the unique needs of these patients, with a focus on heart-liver care, including heart-liver transplantation.
- Our Heart Failure Clinic and Transplantation Program has been the largest pediatric heart transplant program in the Tri-State area for a decade. Our expertise includes heart-liver, heart-lung and heart transplants, as well as treatment of complex heart disease.
- We also now offer the End-stage Lung Failure Program, which is the first of its kind in the United States. Here, we provide advanced care – and hope – to children with lung failure or heart-lung failure and seemingly have no other options.
Proven Approaches, Passionate Providers
As one of the top pediatric heart programs ranked by U.S. News & World Report, we are committed to advancing the care available to our patients and their families.
Our patients and families count on Cincinnati Children’s to deliver the latest advances in heart care and cardiac surgery. They know they can count on us for compassionate care from a team who never stops working for them, including:
- Some of the shortest hospital stays after cardiac surgical procedures in the country, demonstrating how quickly our patients recover from surgery.
- Nationally recognized adult congenital heart care at our accredited Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program meets the unique needs of teens and adults who were born with congenital heart defects. These patients are nearly three times more likely to live longer under the care of adult congenital heart specialists and surgeons like ours.
- Our cardiac rehabilitation center, which tailors care to children and adult patients with congenital heart disease and helps improve heart health before and after surgery.
- Expanded access to pediatric heart care with more than 25 outpatient locations in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana, and through our Joint Heart Program with Kentucky Children’s Hospital. We also have expanded our telehealth services to help connect patients to our specialists from afar.
- Our mobile heart clinic, which provides children and adults with congenital heart disease access to the same high quality of care available at our Cincinnati locations, including electrocardiograms (EKG), echocardiograms and consultations with cardiologists, as close to home as possible.
- Heart University, a pediatric and adult heart learning center, provides online cardiac resources for healthcare providers from around the world. More than 1,000 teaching modules, lectures and research papers have been downloaded to date.