For Children with Complex, Life-threatening or Chronic Conditions
When your child faces an incurable illness, you need support and information that you can turn to with confidence. Our Pediatric Palliative and Comfort Care Team (PACT) has the knowledge, experience and compassion to help make the right decisions at the right time.
Who We Are
PACT is a team of physicians, social workers and a nurse practitioner, all dedicated to providing comfort, care and support to your child and your entire family. This care focuses on enhancing quality of life for the child and family, minimizing suffering, optimizing function and providing opportunities for personal growth.
We integrate our services with the medical care your child is receiving. We can provide expert pain and symptom management. We can provide referrals to a wide range of supportive therapies. We are also trained to assist you in making complex and difficult decisions about your child’s care.
What We Do
- Pain and symptom management
- Assist with understanding your child’s medical condition and treatment options
- Assist with communication between families and healthcare providers
- Coordinate inpatient, outpatient and homecare services
- Assist with medical decision making
- Provide an extra layer of psychosocial, emotional and spiritual support to patients and families
- Assist with end of life or hospice care
We include experts from a wide variety of disciplines to care for your child. Our care team includes:
- Physicians with advanced training in palliative care
- Advanced fellows who are undergoing sub-specialty training in palliative care
- Nurse practitioners with extensive experience providing pediatric palliative care
- Social workers with expertise in emotional support and community resources
- Nurse coordinator who is our outpatient liaison
- We work closely with hospital chaplains, music therapists, art therapists, holistic health specialists and child life specialists