The Cincinnati Children’s Proton Therapy Center partners with patients and families from across the United States and Canada to ensure financial challenges aren’t an obstacle to receiving pencil-beam proton therapy treatment.
We know that logistics for travel, housing and finances can be overwhelming, but with our support that doesn’t have to be the case. We will work with you to make the process as easy and comfortable as possible.
With one call to our proton therapy intake coordinator, we can arrange and manage all aspects of your trip, including:
- Housing: We can help you to determine if a hotel, home rental or Ronald McDonald House is best for your family.
- Travel: We will help you to determine the best way to travel from your home to our center.
- Financial support: We assist families in finding available funds to defray travel and lodging expenses.
We provide these support services to parents and caregivers so they can focus on the patient’s and family’s medical and emotional needs instead of managing travel details.
Comfortable & Affordable Suburban Location
The Cincinnati Children’s Proton Therapy Center is located just north of Cincinnati in Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio. Our suburban location is ideally suited for traveling patients and families because it is safe, affordable and easy to navigate with free on-site parking. In addition, you’ll find a full-service grocery store, shopping, numerous restaurants, a theater and much more all within five minutes of the Proton Therapy Center.
The Ronald McDonald House near Cincinnati Children's.
The Cincinnati Children’s Proton Therapy Center offers many discounted, affordable housing options including:
- Proton therapy apartments: The Bold and Brave Kids Foundation has generously secured three fully furnished, two-bedroom apartments specifically for our out-of-town proton therapy patients and their families. Located within 1 mile of the center, the apartments are allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis by the foundation. Some patients start with a different housing option but move in during their treatment time. Contact the Proton Therapy Center to book the apartment for your family.
- Hotels: Several local hotels have rates from $69 to $114 per night for families receiving treatment at the Proton Therapy Center. Some of these hotels offer free transportation to and from the Proton Therapy Center.
- Airbnb home rentals: Several Airbnb rentals are available near the Proton Therapy Center with rates from $650 to $1,600 per month.
- Ronald McDonald House: The Proton Therapy Center is between two Ronald McDonald Houses, which lodge out-of-town families and patients for free. On many nights donated meals are available to those staying without cost. Note that there is a recommended donation of $15 to $25 per night, but patients are not turned away due to an inability to pay. Visit these websites for more details about the Ronald McDonald House in Cincinnati and the Ronald McDonald House in Dayton, Ohio.
Our proton therapy team is here to help you determine which housing option best serves your family’s needs.
Traveling to Cincinnati
Our Liberty Campus is a one-day car drive for those living in the Midwest, Southeast and Eastern United States and Ontario, Canada.
If a patient / family is flying to Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG), complimentary transportation is offered from the airport to lodging and the Proton Therapy Center.
Our staff works closely with families to consolidate appointments on Fridays and Mondays to allow for weekend travel back home when possible.
Cincinnati Children’s and our Proton Therapy Center partner with dozens of charitable foundations to provide financial assistance to our patients from across the United States and Canada. Among dozens of resources, the most commonly used are:
- Ronald McDonald House
- Alex’s Lemonade Stand
- Brave and Bold Kids Foundation
- Compass to Care
- Champions Do Overcome
- Vivian’s Victory
Our intake coordinator will assess your family’s needs and work with our social workers to navigate the network of charitable foundations to secure the necessary financial support.
An Experienced, Dedicated Team to Serve Traveling Patients
Cincinnati Children’s serves patients from more than 100 countries. Last year, our oncology team treated patients from 15 countries. Several departments within Cincinnati Children’s – Proton Therapy Center staff, Concierge Services, the International Patient Program and Destination Excellence – work together to seamlessly serve our traveling patients.
Proton Therapy Center Staff
Patients traveling from across the United States and Canada to our Proton Therapy Center will have a dedicated proton nurse coordinator and child life specialist who work closely together to ensure our patients’ clinical and non-clinical needs are met while receiving treatment at Cincinnati Children’s. For instance, our Proton Therapy Center offers on-site education support to maintain schooling and educational priorities while here for treatment.
Before a patient arrives in the Cincinnati area, our proton therapy intake coordinator works with each family to arrange accommodations and secure the appropriate foundation financial support for travel and housing.
After you arrive, we will continue to provide dedicated support and service. Upon arrival, our proton nurse coordinator will provide a comprehensive orientation during your first clinic appointment. A nurse coordinator and a social worker will then be your main points of contact and will provide professional and personalized care designed specifically to your unique needs.
For patients and families who prefer to communicate in a language other than English, we have an extensive translation services department to help with necessary translations from any language. The Proton Therapy Center staff will ensure an interpreter is present for the services and visits where a live interpreter is needed.
Your intake coordinator will work with the Cincinnati Children’s Concierge Services team to make a patient / family’s time as stress free and comfortable as possible. This includes the logistics for travel arrangements and other patient / family needs such as locating nearby places of worship, grocery stores, laundry and dry cleaning, banking and other personal concierge services. Concierge Services also offers free or discounted tickets to activities all over Greater Cincinnati for patients and their families while in town.
International Patient Program and Destination Excellence
Our International Patient Program and Destination Excellence teams have extensive experience helping international families manage the challenges of living abroad for an extended time and understand the unique needs of our international patients and families. These teams partner with the Proton Therapy Center staff to make the experience of patients, families and their referring physicians as easy and comfortable as possible.
Full-Service Care in One Place
The Cincinnati Children’s Proton Therapy Center location includes a medical oncology clinic, pharmacy, imaging center, laboratory testing, central line care, Emergency Department, child life services and the only accredited pediatric cancer rehabilitation program in the world. Our Liberty Campus is equipped to administer proton therapy, as well as inpatient and outpatient oncology services, at the same location.
Since all care can be administered in one place, families do not need to travel via ambulance, or otherwise, to receive necessary, additional services.
The services and experience offered at the Cincinnati Children’s Proton Therapy Center – from our proton expertise, experience serving traveling and international patients, affordable suburban location, full-service hospital and holistic approach to both clinical and whole-family needs during stays – make our center a great choice for traveling patients and families.
For Patients and Families and Radiation Oncologists
Cincinnati Children's Proton Therapy Center
Phone: +1-513-636-ATOM (2866)