We are seeking a nurse scientist to conduct independent scientific studies and research in the field of nursing. As a nurse scientist, you will:
- Conduct your own program of research. Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center has three main institutes of research which include hematology / oncology, pediatric cardiac services and neonatology. However, a qualified candidate may chose to conduct research in another area of study as long as it relates to the pediatric patient population.
- Collaborate with healthcare facilities and educational institutions for multi-site research opportunities.
- Mentor others in the research process.
- Provide expertise in design, development, analysis and dissemination of new knowledge and the use of evidence to guide and support clinical practice.
- Design, execute and record laboratory experiments.
- Apply standard scientific protocols to experiments.
- Research and improve current methods.
- Evaluate innovative techniques.
- Draft, write and edit scientific reports, papers, journal articles and abstracts.
- Submit grants to support the integration of research and evidence-based practice.
- Train and supervise the work of other laboratory personnel as appropriate.
You will be part of a leading pediatric research institution with distinguished legacy. Among many other contributions, Cincinnati Children's researchers have produced the Sabin oral polio vaccine, the first practical heart-lung machine, one of the key ingredients in surfactant preparation and the rotavirus vaccine.
You will also be part of one of the largest and most technologically-advanced pediatric research institutions in the nation, with nearly 1 million square feet of research space and 450 pediatric faculty in 50 divisions. We are the second highest recipient of National Institutes of Health grant funding among comprehensive pediatric centers, with a total research budget of more than $300 million.
You will be a part of our Center for Professional Excellence in our Department of Patient Services. You will report to the associate vice president for the Center for Professional Excellence, Research Division, and be supported through collaborative relationships with a research associate and assistants.
Qualities We're Seeking
The ideal candidate will have:
- A doctorate in nursing or a related field with a strong emphasis in research. If the doctorate is in a related field, a master’s degree in nursing is required.
- Demonstrated expertise in nursing practice, education, and research and ability to educate others (coaching, mentoring, teaching skills).
- Demonstrated ability to write and publish in professional journals and texts and obtain extramural funding for research.
- Licensure as a registered nurse in the State of Ohio and faculty appointment with the University of Cincinnati College of Nursing.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated supervisory ability.
- An innovative approach to experimental design.
- Analytical ability sufficient to compare data.
- The ability to synthesize information, and to create and deal with new situations by applying past experience.
- An expressed willingness to teach others and to share results.
- The ability to meet time demands necessary to execute research.
Learn More, or Apply
You may search and apply for this position using keyword search “nurse scientist”.