As a young African American woman, Jean Turner began her career at Cincinnati Children’s and the Department of Radiology in the 1960’s working under the direction of the Radiology Chairman, Frederick N. Silverman, MD.
Her 40-year career began as a Radiology File Clerk, and she retired as a member of the Radiology Reading Room staff. Jean developed a love for radiology but noticed a lack of people of color in the growing and advancing field of radiological technology.
After discussing this disparity with radiology managers and leaders at Cincinnati Children’s, the Jean Turner Scholarship Award was established in 2009, to create opportunities for people of color in the field of radiology and to honor her 40 years of service in the Department of Radiology. Supporting those who are interested in entering careers in the field of radiology in all modalities is one way the Department of Radiology at Cincinnati Children’s furthers its mission of excellence in imaging.
The Cincinnati Children’s Department of Radiology wishes to promote the entrance of people of color into the field of radiology. We support diversity, equity, and inclusion of Registered Radiologic Technologists in all medical imaging modalities: radiography, CT, US, MRI, nuclear medicine, and interventional radiology.
- Two scholarship recipients will be selected
- Maximum total scholarship payout is $10,000
- $2,500 per semester, up to $5,000 per year, for a maximum of 2 years
- Payment will not exceed total of tuition and fees paid for the semester
- Payment will cover tuition and fees only and will be paid directly to the school
- Recipient must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75 for each semester to be eligible for payment
- Applicant must be a member of an under-represented ethnic group in the field of radiology
- Applicant’s home address or college they are enrolled in must be in Ohio, Kentucky, or Indiana
- Applicant must be currently enrolled or accepted to an accredited Medical Imaging Technology program as a full or part-time student
- Applicant may be a new or continuing student
- Applicant must submit a complete application packet
- Application packet requires an essay and 3 reference letters
- Scholarship student is selected for each academic year. Award may be for a 1 or 2-year scholarship and depends on applicant’s grade level at the time of award.
- The application deadline is July 18, 2022. Recipient selection announcements are made on August 19, 2022.
- Evaluation of scholarship applicants is based on the contents of their application packet and successful completion of a small group interview.
Employment at Cincinnati Children's
Employment in the Department of Radiology after graduation is a goal and potential outcome of the program. Employment is not guaranteed. Employment opportunities are based on available job openings, candidate qualifications and the interview process.
To begin the application process, download our application packet.
For more information, contact Rebecca Pryor, Education and Compliance Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-636-5993.