The Division of Child Life and Integrative Care at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center offers an internship in child life that has been accredited by the Association of Child Life Professionals. This 16-week internship features experiential learning, and participating students can expect to gain knowledge in core child life competencies. Opportunities for internship are year round, with programs offered in the winter / spring, summer and fall.
The first two weeks is an intensive orientation to our medical center campus and the Division of Child Life. The rest of your 40 hour / week commitment will be divided into rotations giving you experience with all ages:
- Infants / toddlers
- Pre-school / school-age children
- Adolescents/ Young Adults
In varied clinical areas interns have the opportunity to spend time (1) assessing psychosocial needs of patients and families, (2) planning developmentally appropriate and therapeutic play opportunities for hospitalized children, (3) assisting in supervision of activity centers, (4) providing one-on-one interventions, (5) participating in preparation for and support during procedures and treatments, and (6) conducting medical play sessions, all under the supervision of Certified Child Life Specialists.
- May be Inpatient or Outpatient Assignment
- Focused on Introduction and Practice of Foundational CL Competencies
- Interns will Experience Specialty Care Areas for a Mini Rotation
- May be Inpatient, Outpatient, or Critical Care Assignment
- Build and Expand on Foundational CL Competencies
Possible specialty rotations may include:
- Emergency Department
- GI / Colorectal Unit
- Inpatient Psychiatry
- Medical-Surgical Units
- Intensive Care Unit
- Newborn Intensive Care Unit
- Cardiac Intensive Care Unit
- Hematology / Oncology
- Transplant and Complex Surgical Inpatient Unit
- Pediatric & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Neurology / Neurosurgery
- Same Day Surgery
- Outpatient Clinics (Hematology / Oncology, Orthopaedics, Allergy, Ambulatory Care, etc.)
- Division of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics
The Division of Child Life has responsibilities for patient care 365 days a year and 24 hours a day. As a result, intern schedules at Cincinnati Children's will vary and often require intermittent Saturday and / or Sunday commitments.
For additional information or clarification, please contact the Child Life Education Specialist at CLICEducation@CCHMC.org.