The Division of Child Life and Integrative Care at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center offers an internship in child life that has been accredited by the Association of Child Life Professionals. This 16-week internship features experimental learning, and participating students can expect to gain knowledge in core child life competencies. Opportunities for internship are year round, with programs offered in the winter / spring, summer and fall.
The first week is an intensive orientation to our medical center campus and the Division of Child Life. The rest of your 40 hour / week commitment will be divided into rotations giving you experience with all ages:
- Infants / toddlers
- Pre-school / school-age children
- Adolescents/ Young Adults
In varied clinical areas you will have the opportunity to spend time (1) assessing psychosocial needs of patients and families, (2) planning developmentally appropriate activities for hospitalized children, (3) assisting in supervision of activity centers, (4) providing one-on-one interventions, (5) participating in preparation for and support during procedures and treatments, and (6) conducting medical play sessions, all under the supervision of Certified Child Life Specialists.
Foundational Clinical Rotation
- May be Inpatient or Outpatient Assignment
- Focused on Introduction and Practice of basic CL competencies
- Interns will be placed in specialty care areas for a mini rotation.
Advanced Clinical Rotation
- May be Inpatient, Outpatient, or Critical Care Assignment.
- Focused on introduction and practice of Basic CL competencies.
Concentrated Activity Center observation and practice
- A total of six sessions to be assigned individually.
You may have the opportunity to experience two specialty areas. Possible specialty rotations may include:
- Emergency Department
- GI / Colorectal Unit
- Inpatient Psychiatry
- Medical-Surgical Units
- Intensive Care Unit
- Newborn Intensive Care Unit
- Cardiac Intensive Care Unit
- Hematology / Oncology
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Neurology / Neurosurgery
- Short Stay -- Same Day Surgery
- Outpatient Centers (Hematology / Oncology Clinic, Pediatric Primary Care Clinic, Ambulatory Care Clinics)
- Division of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics
We will also introduce you to our preoperative programs, Starshine Hospice, Integrative Care Services, and programming within our Seacrest Studio.
The Division of Child Life has responsibilities for patient care 365 days a year with morning, afternoon and evening programs. As a result, your schedule during your internship at Cincinnati Children's will vary and will require some Saturday, and one or more Sunday commitments.
For additional information or clarification, please contact the Child Life Education Specialist at CLICEducation@CCHMC.org.