The Child Health Research Career Development Award (CHRCDA) is a K12 award sponsored by The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD). This program is a mentored institutional career development program for fellows and new investigators who have recently completed postgraduate clinical training in Pediatrics and are committed to launching an independent research career. This program provides a dedicated 2-year period of career development that includes didactic coursework and mentored research training with 75% protected research time. The basics of the program are available on the NICHD website; and the specifics of the RFA can be found here.
PI Eligibility Requirements
At the time of award, CHRCDA Scholars must:
- Devote a minimum effort of 9 person-months (equivalent to 75% effort) during the appointment of the K12 award
- Be a citizen or a non-citizen national of the United States or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence
- Be a pediatrician holding the M.D. degree
- Have completed postgraduate residency training in Pediatrics
- Be no more than 4 years after attaining board eligibility in their subspecialty
- Identify an approved mentor or mentors with extensive research experience
- Not be or have been a PD/PI on an R01, R29, U01/U10, subproject of a Program Project (P01), Center (P50, P60, U54) grant, or individual mentored or non-mentored career development award (e.g., K01, K02, K08, K22, K23, K24, K25, K99). Individuals who are or were PD/PIs on NIH Small Grants (i.e., R03s) or Exploratory/Developmental Grants (i.e., R21s) may be eligible providing they meet the other eligibility requirements. Individuals who received Pediatric Scientist Development Program (PSDP) K-12 funds are eligible for this program, subject to the 6-year limitation on mentored K support.
- Have written approval and support from their Division Chief: Clinician scientists must provide documentation of approval from their Division Chief for release from clinical time, thus demonstrating capacity to spend 75% effort on this award.
How to Apply
- A cover page/letter with the title of the application, the applicant’s name, department and division, address, and the names and application dates of the extramural agency to which the extramural application will be made. The cover page will serve as the institutional commitment to candidate’s research career development and must be signed by the applicant, the applicant’s mentor(s) and the applicant’s division director indicating institutional support for the application and acceptance of the terms of the grant.
- Biosketches (5 pages maximum each) – from the PI and mentor(s) following the current NIH format
- Budget and budget justification
- Total budget not to exceed $125,000 for 1 year of support broken down into the following 2 categories:
- $100,000 allocated to support the Scholar’s 75% effort as budgeted towards salary and fringe benefit costs
- $25,000 to support the individual research and career development activities of the Scholar indicating amounts for named personnel, supplies, travel, and other categories.
- Salary and fringe exceeding the allowed budget must be cost shared from internal funding sources.
- Salary support for the mentor is not permitted
- The budget justification should state that the proposed mentor has sufficient independent support to cover the costs of the proposed project in excess of the allowable budget of this award.
- Other supporting documentation including:
- Project Abstract (limit 1 page)
- The Specific Aims of the proposed research (limit 1 page)
- A combined Candidate Information Section and Research Strategy Section (limit 5 pages). The candidate information section should describe the candidate’s background, career goals and objectives, and proposed career development/training activities during the award period. The research strategy section should include Significance, Innovation and Approach of the proposed research (references not included in the page limitation).
- Applications are due October 15, 2020, sent to email@example.com.
- Inquiries before applying are welcome, and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.