Qualifications and Eligibility
The Child Health Research Career Development Award (CHRCDA) is a K12 award sponsored by The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD). This program is a mentored institutional career development program for fellows and new investigators who have recently completed postgraduate clinical training in Pediatrics and are committed to launching an independent research career. This program provides a dedicated two-year period of career development that includes didactic coursework and mentored research training with 75% protected research time. The basics of the program are available on the NICHD website; and the specifics of the RFA can be found here.
PI Eligibility Requirements
At the time of award, CHRCDA Scholars must:
- Devote a minimum effort of nine person-months (equivalent to 75% effort) during the appointment of the K12 award
- Be a citizen or a non-citizen national of the United States or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence
- Be a pediatrician holding the M.D. degree
- Have completed postgraduate residency training in Pediatrics
- Be no more than four years after attaining board eligibility in their subspecialty
- Identify an approved mentor or mentors with extensive research experience
- Not be or have been a PD/PI on an R01, R29, U01/U10, subproject of a Program Project (P01), Center (P50, P60, U54) grant, or individual mentored or non-mentored career development award (e.g., K01, K02, K08, K22, K23, K24, K25, K99). Individuals who are or were PD/PIs on NIH Small Grants (i.e., R03s) or Exploratory/Developmental Grants (i.e., R21s) may be eligible providing they meet the other eligibility requirements. Individuals who received Pediatric Scientist Development Program (PSDP) K-12 funds are eligible for this program, subject to the 6-year limitation on mentored K support.
- Have written approval and support from their Division Chief: Clinician scientists must provide documentation of approval from their Division Chief for release from clinical time, thus demonstrating capacity to spend 75% effort on this award.
How to Apply
- If you wish to apply for the CHRCDA Award please complete our pdf application.
- Applications are due November 1, 2022 at 12 p.m. All applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inquiries before applying are welcome, and should be sent to email@example.com.